1911 Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll Second the Springfield, my first 1911 ever was the Springfield 1911A1 in Stainless, picked it up for $500 in the box, and outfitted it as I saw fit (beavertail, barrel, guide rod, safety etc), but I never got real deep into the more technical aspects
Great info guys! This is exactly what I am planning on. I know by the time I pick up a budget model and outfit it the way I like it. I could just go buy a nice Springfield or Kimber. But where is the fun in that?

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll Second the Springfield, my first 1911 ever was the Springfield 1911A1 in Stainless, picked it up for $500 in the box, and outfitted it as I saw fit (beavertail, barrel, guide rod, safety etc), but I never got real deep into the more technical aspects
i added a beavertail, skeletonized hammer, flat mainspring housing (the SA mil-specs come with those arched ones), sear spring, mainspring, firing pin spring, you name it, I’ve replaced it. After all of this, I can now detail strip any 1911 and put it all back together. There were a few headaches along the way before I got to this point though.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great info guys! This is exactly what I am planning on. I know by the time I pick up a budget model and outfit it the way I like it. I could just go buy a nice Springfield or Kimber. But where is the fun in that?
Trust me... There's a lot of fun in buying any new 1911. Especially a nice one. Or any other gun for that matter. At least it's fun to me.

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a Kimber gov’t. Was disappointed. Dropped major $ to make it into an interesting gun. (Accurate) had 5k in it. Gave it to a friend, had my gunsmith, (Dr Greyson) build me a Caspian frame and slide, accu-railed, barsto barrel, match guts, hard chromed, runs and groups like a champ, and it’s a beauty. Cost under what I spent on the Kimber. Wish I had done that first. Got to choose every single part, every single tweek, got a much better result, for less money and no frustration.