1911 Truth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in a headquarters battery attached to the 82nd! Light wheel vehicle mechanic. I operated a 5tn wrecker and was always out in the field when the 82nd was dropping vehicles and the air force was practicing combat drops !! Helped clean up a lot of trashed vehicles while there LOL!
Nothing better than seeing a Sheridan rolling end over end down Sicily DZ

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
33072854_2196413383923495_1678866960403660800_o.jpg

:D

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Well, the first things that come to mind, that I personally would rank a bit higher on the Life Factor Enjoyment Scale than watching a Sheridan rolling end over end down Sicily DZ, is enjoying fine whisky and the company of fine women. Others that are on my list would include a gourmet meal at a fine restaurant, a free-fall parachute jump from a hot air balloon, (personal bucket list item), staring down a charging Kodiak Bear armed only with a muzzleloader, and maybe even a dip in a cool pool on a hot day. However, having never seen such an event as you describe, I must mention that after saying the aforementioned pleasure's are ranked higher, for me anyway, I am withholding final judgment pending an opportunity to witness this for myself. I did however see a coke machine go tumbling end over end through the Bachelor Officers Quarters parking lot during a typhoon at Kadena Air Force Base in Okinawa once when on temporary duty there in the mid-80's time frame. Now that was pretty exciting, as the coke machine tumbled quite willy-nilly through the lot, causing considerable damage to several vehicles in said lot. Fortunately, none of them were mine.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Split tail and fine whiskey are a completely different subject!! But just on a most folks will never see this ****,,, a Sheridan doing cartwheels down a makeshift landing strip................. that **** is just freaking cool!!! Deuce and a half burning in from a 300ft combat drop,,,,, freaking cool!!! :mosh::cool:

Speaking of cool ****!!! In Germany I was in a gun-bunny outfit that a had a "dip" mission(die in place) that the silly bunny's practiced and fought to win the privilege to be that gun squad!! And while practicing to win that "award" they would do direct fire at conexe's or pill boxes whatever you want to call them, on this day a 110 Howitzer blasted a box at around 500 yards and the butt plate of the live round traveled all the way back to the gun and hit a soldier , thank the powers that be , in the helmet. Knocked ole boy out cold and he woke up in the hospital at Grafenwöhr training area!!! Coronal Callasico who was HAIC for that brigade personally awarded that soldier the lucky bastard plaque (with the butt plate mounted to said award)!!! :clap3::mosh::cool:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Split tail and fine whiskey are a completely different subject!! But just on a most folks will never see this ****,,, a Sheridan doing cartwheels down a makeshift landing strip................. that **** is just freaking cool!!! Deuce and a half burning in from a 300ft combat drop,,,,, freaking cool!!! :mosh::cool:

Speaking of cool ****!!! In Germany I was in a gun-bunny outfit that a had a "dip" mission(die in place) that the silly bunny's practiced and fought to win the privilege to be that gun squad!! And while practicing to win that "award" they would do direct fire at conexe's or pill boxes whatever you want to call them, on this day a 110 Howitzer blasted a box at around 500 yards and the butt plate of the live round traveled all the way back to the gun and hit a soldier , thank the powers that be , in the helmet. Knocked ole boy out cold and he woke up in the hospital at Grafenwöhr training area!!! Coronal Callasico who was HAIC for that brigade personally awarded that soldier the lucky bastard plaque (with the butt plate mounted to said award)!!! :clap3::mosh::cool:

Now that's just a cool award!

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we had this brand new PFC who's duty mostly consisted of burning crappers everyday. you didn't dare get down wind from him, his aroma was just nasty. he had only been in country for a couple of weeks when he was suddenly hustled up to the airstrip and returned stateside. we found out his brother was in 1/9 and had been captured, making our PFC a sole surviving son and he could not be in a combat zone.

fast forward to a week later and i'm working on a TSC 15 van which was a mobile communication van, had a huge transmitter, a teletype, and a phone switch board. i turned on the teletype and this AP message types out that the brother had escaped and was now back in friendly country. the brother was promptly flown out of country and our PFC returned very quickly to us, he returned to his crap burning job and his attitude had take a sharp turn south.

our PFC somehow got hold of several San Magoos, absolutely foul philippine beer and became skunk drunk. bear in mind DaNang was a heavily guarded airstrip and usually had several thousand heavily armed lads roaming about. our drunk PFC was returning to his tent, and saw a messman making horsecock sammiches for the guards mid rats. he decided he wanted one, accosted the messman and demanded a sammich, the messman, being a salty Lcpl told him to perform an unnatural sex act upon himself. our PFC assaulted the messman and got a sammich, ran from the tent, and thru the tent area screeching, "run, run, as fast as you can, you'll never catch me i'm the gingerbread man."

after his capture and ritual minor beating he awaited his fate, the flag went up at 0700 and he went up at 0701. demoted and loss of pay, up until his rotation out of country he remained a PVT, and became an expert 8 hole crapper burner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom