1911 wrench

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone every try one of these barrel bushing wrenches? If so was it any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Avid-1911-Smart-Wrench/dp/B00TFXIKW8

barrel bushing wrench.jpg barrel bushing wrench 2.jpg

Barn Dog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh come on, if your gonna be man enough to carry a 1911 you should be able to field strip it by hand.

J/K I use one of the Wilson Combat blue plastic thingys on my bench

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh come on, if your gonna be man enough to carry a 1911 you should be able to field strip it by hand.

J/K I use one of the Wilson Combat blue plastic thingys on my bench

When I had a 1911 years ago I used an old style wrench and a mesh style onion bag. That way I could see what I was doing and if the spring took off the bag would catch it. :P

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never had need of a wrench, on a standard Gubmint Model.

Buddy had a National Match, with a really tight bushing. He used a wrench and got to where he used the wrench on EVERY 1911.

To your question, yes, they do work.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never had need of a wrench, on a standard Gubmint Model.

Buddy had a National Match, with a really tight bushing. He used a wrench and got to where he used the wrench on EVERY 1911.

To your question, yes, they do work.
I had a Kimber Gov't Model with a full-length guide rod, and the lip around the guide rod hole in the spring plug was sharp enough that I preferred using a bushing wrench on it. On the numerous other 1911 variants I've owned, not so much. Heck, half the time I just disassembled it like any other modern auto--just punch out the slide release and slide the whole assembly off the front (making sure to cover the spring and guide rod assembly as it clears the frame), then pull the spring and rod out from the rear.

Latest posts

Top Bottom