1911s TO AVOID.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I mentioned that 3 inch 1911s don't always run well, I did not mean Colt's Officer's model, which was a 3.5 inch gun. I did have a lightweight Colt Officer's model in .45 ACP that ran quite well back in the mid 1980s. The three inch guns are just more troublesome.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You definitely get what you pay for with a 1911. But I agree that some of the compacts will give you trouble. I've owned two. A Kimber CDP that was a tight and picky pain in my a$$. The other is a 3.5" Colt officers that I've kept. There is a definite design difference between the two. Now, I did have a 5" full size Kimber TAC 2 that was an amazing shooter. I have shot many different brands of Government and Commander sized without remembering that any were junk. Even the Taurus 1911 shot well. Another thing about a 1911 is after 1000 rounds you have only started to break it in.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After shooting USPSA for a few years, I tend to agree - there is always "something" with 1911s that makes it not go "boom"; considering that 10% of pistols are responsible for 90% of malfunctions - really opens your eyes (and we are taking about creme de la creme)

Yeah because lots of guys show up with bone stock 1911s to shoot USPSA....

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a little bit of an novice here, still practicing, but I have a Colt Gold Cup I am really working to get better with and a beat up Colt nickle finish Series 70 that I Every Day Carry that I can make rattle when I shake it.

A little while back, Palamento Armory had an ATI 1911 45 for $290,total, free shipping. Picked one up just for a spare target shooter when friends or family visited. It now has over 500 rounds of Freedom Ammo reloads in a combination of FMJ and HP through it. Not one FTF. Reminds me, I should clean it every 500rds, it is time.

Would I carry that ATI 1911 every day for a SD firearm? Most likely not, only because I think the finish would wear off in a month or so in a holster. Would I use Freedom reloads as my primary ammo? Not yet. However, I have been through way higher of a round count of their reload ammo practicing with zero malfunctions than I have with all other name brand new ammo I EDC combined, 5-6K rounds.

In my opinion, If have the misfortune of being in an adverse situation where there is a .0002% chance that any of my 1911's might have a problem, even with the ATI or a mag filled with Freedom reloads I accidently loaded in might malfunction, I am not too concerned. I would think I would be more reliable than his AR at going bang on the next trigger pull if there were a confrontation.

You only can go so far with realibility, that is why they have Mersades free towing to their repair centers, no matter how plush or how much they cost.

501 starts in a row with my Suburban in the driveway with no malfunction? I'll bet on the ATI using reloads for my next shot

One and one/half cents worth.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thirty years ago my first 1911 was a Colt Government model MKIV Series 70. My father in law was a gunsmith and had to do extensive work on it to get it to feed any hollow points.

Today, I own a S&W 1911SC Commander that will feed an empty case out of the magazine with no modifications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom