1911s TO AVOID.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son had a Kimber with broken extractor issues, it was an older model. Also had a Para Ord that had jamming issues.

I like Kimbers and would buy one. I've had a Colt Commander for years with no probs. My next 1911 will be a Ruger though...

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats pretty funny, JB! I never thought of that. Seriously, though, I had this never shot, kimber series I top end for about 7 years then decided to fit it on the sti frame I had lying around. Its a pretty fricking awesome 1911.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
68mustang, thanks for the post. The author of that post made some valid points. I agree that trying to make the 1911 minute of millimeter accurate will not make it more reliable, nor will trying to make a full-size service pistol into a micro-compact help make it reliable. The 1911 design has several strong points, the best of which is its almost incomparable trigger. I've went through a few of them (one a four-inch Kimber that was quite unreliable, another the full size Warrior, which I wish I had kept), but I currently don't have one (unless you count the GF's double-stack 9mm RIA). I am leaning towards a Dan Wesson though....

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While there are plenty of examples out there of unreliable 1911's, my perspective as a longtime competitor and range safety officer has led me to the conclusion that most failures in competition stem from one of three issues (in no particular order:

Out of spec ammunition (usually reloads).

Out of spec "performance mods".

Operator error.

Honorable mention would go to lack of maintenance, which usually means insufficient or improper lubrication.

Your experience is far greater than mine, but the biggest 1911 contributor to failure I see is crappy factory or cheap aftermarket magazines. Though you said competition, which presumably rules that out ahead of time.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your experience is far greater than mine, but the biggest 1911 contributor to failure I see is crappy factory or cheap aftermarket magazines. Though you said competition, which presumably rules that out ahead of time.

It's pretty rare for me to see crap mags in matches. Usually when I do it's the brand new competitors. Still, it's disheartening to see so many good, seasoned shooters with guns that choke, just because they're chasing a magic solution to a mostly nonexistent problem. Well, unless they're in my class & division that is! :D

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot of experience on this forum, to be used as wanted/needed.
I understand the difference between a Wilson Custom, Kimber, Springfield, Taurus and a Hi-point.
Some are prettier, more efficient, more accurate, more reliable, better shooters, or ..just a name.
Ive had a Taurus with the upgrades open ejector port, comp trigger, lightened hammer, polished feed ramp, and the guide rod prob had been fixed...new $550.
I didnt shoot it that much, maybe 500 rounds in a year I had it, only prob I had with it , my B-I-L loaded a 40s&w in it.
Heard it go POof, stopped him, the bullet left the chamber , but boy the brass was jacked it there.
Pryed the brass out inspected the barrell, no damage, loaded another mag and it returned to fireing fine.
It would shoot anything you put in it , just not the 40's too well..ha

Springfield milspec M1A, it too shot fine ,a little rough, didnt like the real flat nose hollow points.
$50 at gunsmith, it did a Lot better..used $400+$50

RIA tactical, it also had the upgrades/fixes, shoots well, feeding hasnt been an issue, but the grip safety doesnt seem to fit My hand at the palm swell, have to be conscious about that when gripping.
New $500

Springfield Lightweight Champion Operator- 4"...the others were 5"
Much different gun, smooth, accurate , feeds anything , about 7-800 rds through it
New $ 850

Ive shot a Wilson and a Kimber, very nice , smooth , Nice guns
I fondled a Les Baer, nowhere to shoot it, very nice looking , feeling gun.

I know about going into combat (not personally) with a weapon that has 20-30k rounds to prove its competent ...I just hope thats not my situation.

So bash if you wish, I can hit a 9" paper plate out to about 50 yards , on a Good day, on bad days ...I go to a rifle... ;)
I would probably buy a higher end pistol, budget stops me for now, so Ive had to learn to shoot what I can afford.

OH, the Hi-point, for the price ...ya just cant beat them, well ya can , and they still shoot...butt ugly

Latest posts

Top Bottom