1940's drill team?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpeg

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I got all excited there for a moment,,,
I had to copy the image and enlarge it in Photoshop.

I thought that might be my uncle.

My uncle was a highly decorated/severely wounded Marine after Korea,,,
One of his perks after he left the hospital was as a DI.

He took a WMC drill team to the national championship in the mid-fifties,,,
He was also the model for a Marine recruitment poster,,,
I grew up with a copy of it on my wall.

My Mom was an extremely pretty woman,,,
My Uncle was as handsome as she was beautiful.

RIP Uncle Tommy.

Aarond

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on a few noteable clues, this is likely pre-WWII and prior to the existence of the USO. If for any reason the helmets that they are using were current issue, this was definitely earlier than 1939. A uniform expert could easily nail down the timeframe based on the officer's garb, which also looks 1930's era to me. I searched for 3rd ID womens drill teams and found nothing. Not sure if this was a drill team mearly a recruiting tool for the Army?

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After doing a reverse image search, it looks like this photo was actually discussed on usmilitariaforum.com. This was the most informative post...

Third Division recruit drill? Date and place of this scene are unknown but the Golden Gate International Exposition of 1939-1940 is one possibility. Third Division posted a provisional company from 30th Infantry (“San Francisco’s Own”) at the Exposition venue on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay in 1939, where it was billeted at Camp Hunter Liggett (perhaps the tents shown behind the corporal). The “Treasure Island Company” in 1940 included troops from other Ninth Corps units as well as from 30th Infantry. The 1935-1936 California Pacific Exposition in San Diego is another possibility. Third Division sent a unit of some 164 30th Infantry soldiers and bandsmen to this event. (Thanks to Forum member Gregory who originally posted this image elsewhere on the Forum).

Latest posts

Top Bottom