1950’s Oklahoma Jack Rod Line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my first 18 years, I could hear those engines every day and night. In the latter part of my career, I got to be associated with several people from the Arrow plant in Tulsa and to see the engines assembled there. The deepest sounds, though, came from the big Ajax engines running the salt water injection secondary recovery system.

Since my dad was a pumper, he constantly told me to keep clear of the pumping units. If he had ever heard of me riding the walking beam, I probably would have qualified for the Darwin Award at his hand.
Like I said, we were young, stupid, and well oiled with Mad Dog 20 20.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to pump a big lease in Osage county near Prue. The old jack mechanism shack, miles of rod going to 12 wells, and remains of the old motor assembly were on the lease. We started recycling the rods into fencing.
In the 70s I was an electrician. New Company I went to work for with a Indian Headdress for his logo. Me, I don't care. Got sent out on a "trouble call" to replace an electric motor way out in North Osage county. Yep, my background after solely working to wire a new fires station on South Lewis in Tulsa, lots of the shops in the first phase of Woodland Hills mall, going to an "emergency" situation replace an electric motor at a pump station should not be a big deal. Got there, lots of mechanical gizmos with lots of rods running out of it was kinda different. Did my job. I guess it was kinda a hush hush way of doing things back then. It was the start of being in sewer manholes, adding flow sensors to the pipes feeding 10 ft diameter glass 30 ft tall vessels filled with surphruic acid, through being in nucliar power plants behind the walls of the control room. Don't talk about what we are doing here.. Do your part of what needs to be done and drive off.
I remember running out of gas one night with a date in my truck. Yeah, I actually ran out of gas. Anyway, we stole some "drip gas" from a well to get us to town. Jesus H Christ that stuff was like a nitro funny car.
Yep, In the late 60's had a friend who had a 57 chevy, his parents had a tap off the line on their property. Thought that most likely was sub grade "gas". Ha. Used a 5 gal can in mine one time. SMMF Hang on. Yep, I was tuned into adjusting 1' timing making a difference. That stuff was really great. Shortly after, his parents moved. Shezam, We both did not like that. He finally had to make a stop at a service station at $.37 a gallon like the rest of us. Ha Ha

Last edited:

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the 70s I was an electrician. New Company I went to work for with a Indian Headdress for his logo. Me, I don't care. Got sent out on a "trouble call" to replace an electric motor way out in North Osage county. Yep, my background after solely working to wire a new fires station on South Lewis in Tulsa, lots of the shops in the first phase of Woodland Hills mall, going to an "emergency" situation replace an electric motor at a pump station should not be a big deal. Got there, lots of mechanical gizmos with lots of rods running out of it was kinda different. Did my job. I guess it was kinda a hush hush way of doing things back then. It was the start of being in sewer manholes, adding flow sensors to the pipes feeding 10 ft diameter glass 30 ft tall vessels filled with surphruic acid, through being in nucliar power plants behind the walls of the control room. Don't talk about what we are doing here.. Do your part of what needs to be done and drive off.

Yep, In the late 60's had a friend who had a 57 chevy, his parents had a tap off the line on their property. Thought that most likely was sub grade "gas". Ha. Used a 5 gal can in mine one time. SMMF Hang on. Yep, I was tuned into adjusting 1' timing making a difference. That stuff was really great. Shortly after, his parents moved. Shezam, We both did not like that. He finally had to make a stop at a service station at $.37 a gallon like the rest of us. Ha Ha
Filtered through a felt hat pre wetted with good gas the water gets filtered out and then add a quart of 1/2 marvel mystery oil & 1/2 30 weight to 5 gallons, it will make a Harley run fast and blow blue flames out the pipes

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think so. One of his videos you hear jet airplanes nearby, and that makes me think of Shepherd AFB trainers. There was another video, I can't recall just what he said, but it made me think he was somewhat near the Red River and Oklahoma.

Wife and I are currently in the Wichita Falls area doing our Summer job. We see a LOT of those older, smaller pumps out in the fields. Most are idle, but I did see one operating the other day. Today, while working one road, we passed a lot in a small town with about 20 of those small pump jacks just sitting there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife and I are currently in the Wichita Falls area doing our Summer job. We see a LOT of those older, smaller pumps out in the fields. Most are idle, but I did see one operating the other day. Today, while working one road, we passed a lot in a small town with about 20 of those small pump jacks just sitting there.

Update for this.

When the wife and I were up near Burkburnett, TX yesterday or the day before, we happened to drive by a display of old oil field equipment right on the north side of town at the first exit for Burkburnett. So today, we worked more roads in that area and we saw a lot of old short pump jacks, many of which are still operating. We saw one place where there were probably 4 operating wells within less than a 5 acre area.

Later in the day, we happened by that display of old equipment, so I stopped and took some pictures. There appears to be two different styles of rod line pumps in that display, plus a motor and some gearing. Someone at Burkburnett needs to get some weed killer out there and do some work. If you are interested, there are about 30 pictures at the link below. However, I really need to get by again with morning sun to get better pictures, and with a pair of gloves, I might even pull some weeds.

Old Oil Field Equipment Display in Burkburnett, TX

Uncle Meat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got hit in the face by a hand crank from an arrow. Out on my lease I pumped near Keystone dam.
I was cranking too fast, magneto fired out of time, the handle gyroscoped right into my face. Busted teeth, bottom lip split down almost to my chin, dang lucky it didnt kill me.
I've met a few old pumpers that were missing a thumb from those hand cranks.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've met a few old pumpers that were missing a thumb from those hand cranks.
My dad seriously sprained a wrist cranking on one of those engines. The company eventually bought portable electric starters that could be connected to the truck. They had rubber contact wheels for driving the flywheel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom