1987 short bed LS 6.0 build Rearend ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend David that owns a camshaft regrinding shop finally got his built LQ9 into this old truck.
.630" lift cam and different intake and headers etc etc.
Looks old on the outside and new on the inside.I should get pictures of it.

Runs fairly well has a 4L80E and has not yet got the final tune on it. Neds to get a different gear ratio and some tires on it that can stick better.
Got some chromed 15x10 rallys and when the Nitto 555R2 tires come in they will be mounted. 325-50-15

One stumble to building these old things is scoring a rearend with a decent gear in it.
I do the 9" Ford for my stuff but finding one today with 5 on 5 bolt pattern today is tough.
Maybe an old 4 wheel drive will have a decent ratio rear end in it.

He wants 4.10 but I suppose a 3.73 or 4.56 would work also.
Was thinking aftermarket posi unit Auburn Pro and some Motive gears would get it done but I do not and have not ever built a 10 bolt.
And I am not going to start.

I broke every 10 and 12 bolt I ever had and went to the Ford.
Any help in that rearend area would be appreciated.
Like a name of someone that does good work with those.

Pretty sure a factory one will not live as this thing will be driven hard.
Has a Circle D 3200 stall in it.

Here is a little tidbit that truck had the stock column shifter and a new stiff foam bench seat that put the steering wheel into your legs.
One guy cam up with a tilt column but it was from a Van and shifter linkage was on the wrong side of the shaft and too short.

I built a bracket for under the dash to move the column forward and made a plate that welded to the stock shift linkage and put the shift
rod hole on the correct side.
But there was not enough travel to have park and low as the column was for a non OD transmission.

I just cut 3/4" from the lower mounting point and welded it back together on the shift linkage to move that mount point closer to the centerline pivot and that fixed it.

Confusing tidbit without pictures. But if you have the same issue you can fix it without buying after market stuff.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't built any hot rods in 15yrs, other things took priority in life. So I'm way out of the loop on performance parts. But Ford 9in rearend's are still being custom built for alot of applications. It is just what you want to Spend$$$$.
Screenshot_20220101-073815_Samsung Internet.jpg

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you asking for a name of someone that can set up the gears?

Harmons 4wd (Isaiah) set the gears up in my bare axles and did a great job. Highly recommend.

https://www.harmon4wheeldrive.com/
Another place in Tulsa I’ve used is ATT, axles transmissions and transfercases. However, the last time I visited with them, they didn’t want to install the air locker in the high pinion Dana 60 I had Harmons complete. These ATT guys are experts and were very competitive on pricing.

https://www.yellowpages.com/tulsa-ok/mip/axles-transmission-transfers-22760656
C3423278-AEF1-468A-A513-A44697178DD3.jpeg

8DE736EA-3DD2-418E-A586-BD1F6E474B64.jpeg

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had an '03 Silverado SS, 6.0, AWD, IIRC it had a 4.11 in it. Finding a rear end from one might be challenging.

That truck was a lot of fun once I had a tune in it, the big red brick surprised a lot of the tuner kids.

Okie_dave

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend just pulled the stock 6 lug axles from a 87 K10 4wd. He is replacing with 1 ton axles. He will probably sell axles if interested.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend just pulled the stock 6 lug axles from a 87 K10 4wd. He is replacing with 1 ton axles. He will probably sell axles if interested.
That might work depending on what gear ratio.
needs to be 3.73 or higher numerical number.
And not broken.

When I read your post I read it as 6 lug Axles will be pulled and 1 Ton axles put in.

I assume you mean the entire rearend and not just an axle swap.

1641220471379.png

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Setting up gears I find fun for whatever reason, as long as it's up on a lift for a Dana 30, 44, 60 etc lol. Ford 9" is nice to be able to pull the 3rd member and set the gears up on the work bench.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I never had a GM rearend live and I never made the 500 HP this thing should be making.
Probably should just go 9"
Another guy at the shop crunched numbers for c clip eliminators and a full spool.

I run a 4.56 gear and full spool 9" in my stuff when I put the tune on KILL.

Heck I ran that Full spool and gears for over 2 years daily driving my old Nova.
Rain, sleet, snow and lots of mud as it was my daily driver fish hunt vehicle.
Never had any issues except tire wear but that was going to happen quickly anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom