1987 short bed LS 6.0 build Rearend ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well he is getting the rearend built with aftermarket axles and a posi unit and 3.73 gears.
Hopefully it lives.

The days of going to the salvage yard and grabbing a 9" from a big car with 5 on 5 bolt pattern are gone.
That is what I wanted to see go into this truck and with a spool and 4.11 gears.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably 20 years ago I saw a picture of of Currie’s yard stacked high with Ford 9” rear-ends. More recently I recall reading they build everything in house at this point. Is an 8.8 an option?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did he find a bolt in or something that needed the mounting brackets and pads modified?
No he was going to build the one that is in it now.
If I had A 9" with the right wheel bolt pattern I would weld the spring perches in and set it up.

I just do not do GM rear ends.
Probably 20 years ago I saw a picture of of Currie’s yard stacked high with Ford 9” rear-ends. More recently I recall reading they build everything in house at this point. Is an 8.8 an option?
I had 6 9" fords of my own I got for $65 or 60 each years ago and down to only a couple and not the right pattern.

If you must change axles to get the right pattern you might as well get better axles for what is in there already.
Going to buy gears and a carrier anyway so does not matter if it is GM or Ford.

Would just save a little cash if I had a 5 on 5 Ford 9" I would run those stock axles and Full spool it with 4.11 gears.
8.8 never had that pattern that I know of.

I never thought of the 8.8 as strong I seen a few of my friends with them broken with stock engine and trans.
I never broke a 9" with a stock engine and in fact I have only broke a cross pin in a mini spool and broke a spider gear recently
in my 57 chevy 9" but that was a factory set from the 60's that seen many 11 second passes in 3 different cars and lots of off road shenanigans.

Latest posts

Top Bottom