1st and only attempt at Jacketed bullets..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chazroh's post reminded me of something I tried once...

Coincidentally, spent .40 S&W cases measure around .429-.430 down around the base before resizing. I had heard of somebody doing this, so thought I'd give it a try.

i.imgur.com_thCNh4k.jpg

Poured a fired, unsized case full of lead and faced it off back down to the rim mouth.

Ran a 1/4" Square end mill, .20" deep from touch-off to make a cavity.

Ran it into a simple 60 degree die I made to give me some kind of point and close up the HP a little bit.

i.imgur.com_jMN8xP1.jpg

Finished bullet looked like these. The bullet weight was 268-270 grains.

i.imgur.com_dazrWqO.jpg

Loaded them over a modest load of BlueDot, don't remember the velocity. It was out of a rifle, but probably no more than 1000 fps or so.

Shot them into a clay bank at 50 yards just to see how they'd do. They mushroomed a little bit, the jacket held together surprisingly well. I imagine they're put the hurt on anything that I'd come across in the woods.

Was fun thinking about all the confusion something like this would cause at a CSI crime scene..

:blush:

i.imgur.com_DnQIeFI.jpg

i.imgur.com_ienLD6U.jpg

i.imgur.com_eTFuknZ.jpg

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool project. The BC would really suck for long range. Lol.
Yeah, they're definitely not a Long range bullet.

Been meaning to make some more and give it a try as a sabot'd muzzleloader round. I think 1800-2000 fps would be real easy to achieve, however I doubt the bullet would hold up to that..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do not save money but you can shoot more for less money.. and you will definitely shoot more.
Reloading is an addiction. Can't cure it but can relieve symptoms by shooting things and picking up brass.

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Making what ya need of what you have at hand. My kinda thinkin'.

I been tossing around the idea of filling some 1/2" O.D. ACR tubing with lead and turning them on the lathe until they suit me and my verynear calipers. Then stuff them onto a .45-70 case with some kinda fast burning propellant (at first) to try out in my Siam Mauser conversion.

This inspires me.............

Latest posts

Top Bottom