1st modest safe suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife works from home and armed and used to live in a very dry climate where cased guns were just fine. So up until now never bothered.

Given the humidity on the eastern border, thinking i need a safe asap so i can throw dessicant and a golden rod in with my guns. Mostly concerned with the climate control aspect than having a 1500lb mega vault, but neither do i want a $150 walmart special that you can drive a screwdriver thru.

Have 6 or so longarms mostly AR sized or shorter except for my 930. And 4 ish handguns. So shouldn't need to be done 30 gun safe either. East of tulsa.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on how you value your collection, buy the best you can afford. Also, buy the next size up from what you think you need. Tractor supply has the more inexpensive Cannon safes as a start, then academy,bass pro/cabelas, H&H. If you want to go high end, Lock It Up safes in Edmond is miles hall that used to own H&H

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Size up if your rifles have scopes, etc. The advertised numbers of guns that fit inside is overestimated unless you pack them in tight. Also, they really aren’t safes. The proper term is residential security container. I’m only pointing that out because there’s a lot of hype when it comes to features.

I’d look at something like a Bear Safe that uses a padlock that is shielded from direct access.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my 41 gun (yeah right!) Secureline from orscheln when it was on sale for Xmas couple years ago. It's a great safe with good fire rating though the shelves aren't the best for long guns. I doubt you'll find very many good deals on storage for weapons of mass destruction while this administration is still in charge.
Screenshot_20220611-110353_Chrome.jpg

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any particular advice about battling humidity? I've got some of those Remington oil cloths and i knew about golden rods.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy the plug in dehumidifier. You wont' have to worry about it again. You'll loose some room inside if you mount it on the floor like I did, but that justified getting a slightly larger safe too.
1654964689849.png

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any particular advice about battling humidity? I've got some of those Remington oil cloths and i knew about golden rods.
I use the moisture grabbers or whatever they're called that have the little pebble things in the top and collects the water in the bottom. Dollar Tree has them for cheap.
Edit: my safe is in a closet so no outlets close by.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a 40 gun Ridgeline during the holiday sales at Atwoods a few years back and it does well for me.
E-lock with backup keys, 14G steel, 30 min fire, around 300lbs empty.
It the most impenetrable measure out there? No...but if someone makes it that far into my home and gets away with it, then something has gone catastrophically wrong in my life and I've got bigger problems to worry about.
I use one of the rechargeable dehumidifiers from SnapSafe.

ebc43def-23e5-4bea-aea7-6189210d96cc.jpg
95708299-181b-4a4d-94b6-86067c9bb51e.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-11 125041.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom