1st modest safe suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a great deal on a Liberty 1776 series 60 gun safe at Tractor Supply. You may not need that much safe, but they have plenty of others. If you get their card you'll get 5% back on purchases. On top of their sales, that's a pretty good deal. When I bought mine it was $1799, I think...right around there. After the sale and the 5% back it wound up being just over $1300 after tax.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Size up if your rifles have scopes, etc. The advertised numbers of guns that fit inside is overestimated unless you pack them in tight. Also, they really aren’t safes. The proper term is residential security container. I’m only pointing that out because there’s a lot of hype when it comes to features.

I’d look at something like a Bear Safe that uses a padlock that is shielded from direct access.
Ditto. Bear Safes , made in OKC, have hidden reenforced key locks. Nothing electronic to go bad or be replaced. Can’t pry-bar open. A true safe. I would avoid anything requiring batteries. Like everyone else said , buy BIGGER than you think you need.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really like rhinosafe.com However a bit pricey, very robust, beautiful finish, mechanical combination lock. However bear is very good, very heavy duty. Liberty was my runner up when I bought my safe. Whatever you get, suggest bolting to the foundation through 4 hockey pucks to eliminate corrosion from the bottom. By the way, rhino safes are available through Atwoods.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have guns that you don’t shoot very often, RIG comes highly recommended as a corrosion preventative. Break free has a preservative version that from my memory is supposed to last several years in storage.

I just talked to a guy today that mentioned his buddy had a safe go through a fire. The fire didn’t damage the firearms inside, but there was about 4 inches of standing water in the bottom of the safe after the firemen got done hosing down the place.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife works from home and armed and used to live in a very dry climate where cased guns were just fine. So up until now never bothered.

Given the humidity on the eastern border, thinking i need a safe asap so i can throw dessicant and a golden rod in with my guns. Mostly concerned with the climate control aspect than having a 1500lb mega vault, but neither do i want a $150 walmart special that you can drive a screwdriver thru.

Have 6 or so longarms mostly AR sized or shorter except for my 930. And 4 ish handguns. So shouldn't need to be done 30 gun safe either. East of tulsa.
There’s a place in the city called Bear safes. They are pretty good and a lot better than any of the safes that you’re going to get from a box store.

I think most of those So-called box store safes have maybe a 10 or 15 minute rating before you can get into them with basic hand tools. Technically they’re not safes they are storage containers. 6 foot prybar gets in most of them in less than a minute. I’ve even watched some videos of them using an ax to open them up like a tuna can.

In my opinion the only way to get into a Bear safe is with a torch or some heavy duty cut off saw. They make them out of 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate. They don’t use dials or push buttons. They have protected in encased locks that are pretty much pick proof. You will need to go by and check them out to get the prices, or call. You won’t regret getting one if you do. As long as it’s bolted down it’s not going anywhere.

I recommend them highly.

Last edited:

Kent Stephenson

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Buy the biggest safe you can afford to buy and know that it won't be big enough. Key lock safes are secure but you have to keep up with the keys. Also as I age, my hands don't work like they once did making a key hard to manipulate. I buy fireproof safes but will probably only protect important documents. Guns would probable still be destroyed. Favorite safe is a Liberty purchased from H&H. Great interior layout and they delivered it and set it up. Love it. I use golden rods and wipe guns down with Break Free CLP and so far no problems. If you are planning to move soon or often, that might change things. Hard to do the first time but you will not be sorry. Good luck.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As others have stated: buy bigger, or buy again down the road.

However, I'll add that 12ga is the minimum thickness you'd want. The 14ga stuff can be cut into in a surprisingly quick time with an angle grinder. 12ga should take somewhere around 10-20 minutes.

Make sure you can bolt it to your floor. A normal guy with a good hand truck can move a loaded RSC (safe) that weighs under 500lbs by himself...as I've done it several times. If not, then they can tip it over and pry the door a lot easier too if it isn't bolted down.

I'd also want a minimum of 1350 degree fire rating for at least 45 minutes too.

Yeah, good RSCs cost more, but you'll make it back and more when the worst situation possible occurs.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what I did found a safety/ explosion proof cabinet 4’6” wide 2’ deep 6’tall $200 then made racks for guns. 2 big shelves up top came with. Door has center locking handle w vertical rods also put round puck lock 1’ from top and bottom it is super thick metal a lot thicker than any gun safe I have seen. Just another option ended up with $300 maby little more in it .

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any particular advice about battling humidity? I've got some of those Remington oil cloths and i knew about golden rods.

Golden Rod w/Eva-Dry (or similar renewable) if necessary, and a humidistat (important!). Keep it below 50% and not much more below 40% relative humidity. Keep the safe door closed as much as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom