1st time Silencer Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't have anything to compare to because today was my first time ever to shoot with a silencer but it's safe to say I'm hooked. Picked up my Spectre II .22 can last week and tried it out today with some casual plinking on my small range behind the house. No paper targets to compare accuracy and ammo. Just a plastic bottle, empty 22 boxes, sticks, and a rimfire reset target stand at 15-25 yards.

GSG 1911-22 & Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen barrel and Nikon 4x rimfire scope. Shot a few rounds of CCI Minimags so I could compare ammo. Then Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity and Gemtech Silencer Subsonic.

What a blast! Most fun I've had shooting the GSG 1911. Made the empty 22 boxes dance across the range. The Subsonic ammo was very quiet and very accurate in the 10/22 shooting offhand with a sling. The Aguila and Gemtech Subsonic were both more accurate and significantly more quiet than the CCI with the Gemtech being noticeably the most accurate and most quiet.

Will I have to have another so I don't have to move it to each firearm? Next I have to get a thread converter for the CZ 452 and threaded barrel for the Buck Mark. Picking up my center fire silencer this week.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good choice on the spectre 2. Did you go to silencerco website to get the $200 store credit with the purchase?
I don't recall that option being available last July. Shopped Tulsa & OKC. Very few 22 cans were available during the "rush."

Edit: Saw the popup on Silencerco web page tonight about the $200 store credit. Guess I'll call to see if my purchase qualifies.

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't have anything to compare to because today was my first time ever to shoot with a silencer but it's safe to say I'm hooked. Picked up my Spectre II .22 can last week and tried it out today with some casual plinking on my small range behind the house. No paper targets to compare accuracy and ammo. Just a plastic bottle, empty 22 boxes, sticks, and a rimfire reset target stand at 15-25 yards.

GSG 1911-22 & Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen barrel and Nikon 4x rimfire scope. Shot a few rounds of CCI Minimags so I could compare ammo. Then Aguila Super Extra Standard Velocity and Gemtech Silencer Subsonic.

What a blast! Most fun I've had shooting the GSG 1911. Made the empty 22 boxes dance across the range. The Subsonic ammo was very quiet and very accurate in the 10/22 shooting offhand with a sling. The Aguila and Gemtech Subsonic were both more accurate and significantly more quiet than the CCI with the Gemtech being noticeably the most accurate and most quiet.

Will I have to have another so I don't have to move it to each firearm? Next I have to get a thread converter for the CZ 452 and threaded barrel for the Buck Mark. Picking up my center fire silencer this week.

Nice Suppressor. I have the original Spectre that was manufactured before SilencerCo bought out SWC.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well at least it good to know they're approving July forms now.

My 3rd week July forms were approved 5 weeks ago. I'm sure they are still working on earlier ones, but some of the August forms are coming through now. Hopefully they are over the hump of the big workload and things will get back to 40-60 days were were enjoying 2 years ago.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear you like it. Just remember that standard velocity stuff will still be subsonic in a short barreled pistol like a 4" and you dont need to try to run subsonic through it.

Even high velocity like CCI mini-mags have stayed subsonic in my testing in pistols with 4-5" barrels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom