2+2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent about 3 hours tilling dad's garden spot since the sisters are wanting to do a small garden but without them living on the place they dont know what they are getting into cause they cant remember the amount of time it takes to keep a garden up, even thou we was raise on one they didnt do all that much work in it like us boys did.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent about 3 hours tilling dad's garden spot since the sisters are wanting to do a small garden but without them living on the place they dont know what they are getting into cause they cant remember the amount of time it takes to keep a garden up, even thou we was raise on one they didnt do all that much work in it like us boys did.

The boys grew it, the girls stewed it.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well they have the interest and maybe, just maybe ( don't push the maybe's baby) they have enough to net some veggies. It will at least bring some awareness of what it's about to them. Hope it's a good year and the girls do well and gain some life experience ..

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think it so much that they are needing/wanting the veggies as it is trying to hold the tradition now that mom & dad are gone and would be the first time in nearly 58 years there wasnt a garden planted on the place. For years we keep and maintained close to a acre of garden til all of us kids moved out and then the parents cut it in half, we lost mom 3 years ago and last year dads health went down hill and was unable to maintain it and us kids didnt have the time to devoting our time between full time jobs and taking care of him

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think it so much that they are needing/wanting the veggies as it is trying to hold the tradition now that mom & dad are gone and would be the first time in nearly 58 years there wasnt a garden planted on the place. For years we keep and maintained close to a acre of garden til all of us kids moved out and then the parents cut it in half, we lost mom 3 years ago and last year dads health went down hill and was unable to maintain it and us kids didnt have the time to devoting our time between full time jobs and taking care of him
If knowledge and skills are learned all the better. If they meet with failure they will have also learned. What matters is that there is an interest.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If knowledge and skills are learned all the better. If they meet with failure they will have also learned. What matters is that there is an interest.
I've always been interested in having a garden, and fruit trees and vines. Grew up on SoCal, and that is the only place I ever had any sort of success. My brother was helping, a lot, so he may be why we had such a bumper crop of gigantic Beefsteak tomatoes. Last time I tried it here, I figure I spent about $300/pound on that one lousy tomato we got. I believe I may be of Cain's blood. I can deal with animals, but I've got a black thumb as far as plants go, or grow. I'm great a growing weeds, and nothing else.

Bill

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is why I keep saying one of us needs to win the lotto, buy a mile section or more and sell 5 or 10 acre lots around the perimeter to established OSA members. Make kind of a communal farm type thing. We all plant our own veggies, chickens, rabbits, etc but work together for large livestock. We all help protect each other. Yea I know it will never work but it is a nice dream. Especially if we get enough land for a nice range setup too.
This is kinda the plan for me and the old lady. Here in a few years we’re planning on buying a nice piece of land, at least 40 acres. We’ll sell 2-5 acre plots to my mom and sister, her mom, and her sister. Then we could have me raise a few cows and goats, and everyone else raise a few chickens and gardens. Combine that with a pond and each other’s strengths and we could be borderline self sufficient.

Latest posts

Top Bottom