2 Broken Marlins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took a 500rd brick of .22lr out to shoot with the kids this weekend. Their preferred weapons of choice are an old 1979 Glenfield 75 and a 1985 Marlin 60. Well, the old Glenfield hasn't been cleaned in quite awhile (at least 600 rounds of mostly Thunderbolts) and with-in 100 rds it was gummed up to the point of getting ejection and feed issues constantly. So switch to the Marlin. It worked great for about 150 rounds then jammed completely up. We finished out the box with a 4-5 year old 10/22.

I decided this would be a good time to teach the young 'uns how to disassemble and clean these rifles. On doing so, the Glenfield was so dirty the power residue was falling out in flakes. :blush: We found that the recoil buffer is also cracked and needs replaced.

Opening up the Marlin revealed an even more frightening sight. The recoil buffer was completely shattered and in pieces. It was one of these pieces falling into the action and getting stuck that caused the rifle to stop functioning. :nolike:

So now I need to call Marlin and find out how much it's going to cost for 2 new buffers.... :grumble:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I avoid Thunderbolts like the plague...hate the stuff.

At one point it was all i could find. Now just trying to get them used up.
Although my old Stevens 87As love em. And due to the gill design they don't foul up with them. I have since stopped using them in anything besides the 87As for that reason. This time we were using a brick of Winchester M22 copper plated. My favorite .22 plinking ammo is CCI Blazer.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do use Numrich quite a bit myself. In this case is was cheaper to order direct from Marlin (Remington). Parts should be in next week.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the parts in today, now I just have to figure out how the get them on.

tenor.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom