2 New Westinghouse 9,500 Watt Generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a cheap 3500 KW Generator from some sale at Cabelas couple of years ago now. Put it in the bed of my pick-up with a small chest freezer. Hauled my moose back from Northern Alberta, Canada to Edmond it. The freezer get constant use, the generator just sits.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you're gonna' like that Champion. I got the 7500 watt from Atwoods just before the Great Halloween Ice Storm of '20 and have had zero problems with it. Electric start and dual fuel made it a no brainer. It sure makes a lot of noise, but it makes a lot of electricity, so I can forgive the noise part.

I sure hope so. The old Coleman does just enough, but I want the additional surge capacity for the odd times that the furnace, well pump and refrigerator kick on at the same time along with everything else LOL.

Noise isn't an issue as it sits outside at a corner far away from the living spaces. Just close enough to hear it and know all is well!

Power quality seem ok with that unit? The total harmonic distortion numbers seem well below the 25% recommended max. I almost bought one of those new Chinese Firman's at Lowe's but read that the THD was measured way over 25% by some folks.

billt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Do not use sta-bil. A mechanic told me this stuff keeps him in business.
So what is it about Sta-Bil that is so damaging? I've used the product for years with great results. I only recently stopped, and switched to PRI-G, because so many believe it's better. I can't say either way because I've never used it before. But Sta-Bil I have used for decades.

Once when living back in Illinois, I purchased a new Honda mower. Up to then I was using an older push Toro that had a 3-1/2 H.P. Briggs & Stratton engine. I cleaned the old Toro all up, changed the oil, and filled the tank with fresh gas, along with a healthy dose of Sta-Bil. I then ran it until I could smell the Sta-Bil burning in the fuel. I then put it in my basement where it sat for the next 5 YEARS, without being touched.

When we moved out here to Arizona, I brought it out to sell it at a big garage sale we were having.... The Toro started on the second pull after sitting for 5 years! I'm all but certain using the Sta-Bil had something to do with that.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what is it about Sta-Bil that is so damaging? I've used the product for years with great results. I only recently stopped, and switched to PRI-G, because so many believe it's better. I can't say either way because I've never used it before. But Sta-Bil I have used for decades.

Once when living back in Illinois, I purchased a new Honda mower. Up to then I was using an older push Toro that had a 3-1/2 H.P. Briggs & Stratton engine. I cleaned the old Toro all up, changed the oil, and filled the tank with fresh gas, along with a healthy dose of Sta-Bil. I then ran it until I could smell the Sta-Bil burning in the fuel. I then put it in my basement where it sat for the next 5 YEARS, without being touched.

When we moved out here to Arizona, I brought it out to sell it at a big garage sale we were having.... The Toro started on the second pull after sitting for 5 years! I'm all but certain using the Sta-Bil had something to do with that.

It’s not. I had a similar experience with my motorcycle. Let it set in the garage for at least 5 years, drained the old Sta-Bil treated gas (which was quite rank smelling), refilled with fresh. I was planning on yanking the carbs for a rebuild but decided to see if it would fire and run. It did. It ran like it had been parked for a week. I’m convinced that Sta-Bil saved me from rebuilding the carbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Sta-Bil for years in my boat, jet skis and golf cart. It just has always been one of the steps in winterizing them over the winter. So far, no problems at all.
I would be interested to know why they say not to use it as well.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Sta-Bil for years in my boat, jet skis and golf cart. It just has always been one of the steps in winterizing them over the winter. So far, no problems at all.
I would be interested to know why they say not to use it as well.

Probably so folks will keep bringing them equipment that won't start because untreated fuel was left in them LOL. Job security.

Latest posts

Top Bottom