2 weeks in the freezing cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went hunting many years ago for a 2 week trip of NO stores NO nothing except a tent and a few goodies we packed.
Well quite a few goodies.
I have no idea what reminded me of this but cleaning and taking a bath in the frozen water was not really all that bad after a couple days of no washing.

My skin is really oily and it gets in my eyes and irritates me.
I must wash.

Tips.
Ivory soap floats.
Dig hole and poop into it and cover it with dirt from hole and place big rock over it.
DO not Move big rocks to dig a hole to poop into.

This rock keeps the dog from eating your poop which is very important especially if you are naked taking a bath in the frozen water.
Dog grabs your clothes and runs off with POO POO breath. Now you must wash clothes.

Dogs like Ivory soap.. good to clean bad dog breath.

Plastic lawn and leaf bags are handy.
You can hide under them in a rain storm.
You can dig a hole and place one in it and add cold water and then hot boiling water to make a poor boy sink to wash in.

Wrap your clothes up tight in them and place in ice chest to keep them dry even if your boat flips over.

We had good times many years ago and would stay out roughing it for a long time with no electronics and ate what we killed and caught.
Of course there were beans and potatoes and onions.
Yes we took toilet paper.
Not roughing it too much you know.

had a rule for some time you could not open any food items or cook any food items until you caught a fish or killed something.
About starved one day.
Then buddy grabbed a raw potato and began eating it..HEY!!
He said i did not open anything and did not cook anything.
I said give me one of those!
Shortly after that I caught a small channel cat.. temps were 10 above.
Rabbit slow cooked on the side of the fire was heaven.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The coldest you will ever be is during July in the Colorado Rockies, and jump in a beaver pond to take a bath. I don't know the elevation but it was up there and it was hot and sweaty about 4:00 in the afternoon. When I jumped in that pond I immediately turned into ice cube material and was cold all night long. My buddies built a large fire but it took forever to take the chill off.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my shad net stuck in January at webbers falls at the 1000 foot mark water was about 18 feet deep where it was stuck on a rock.
That is a 20 dollar net. We had a camp fire going on the rocks and I stripped down to my tighty whities tied a rop around my waist so My buddy could pull me in when i got the net unstuck and in i went.
I could not get a breath just could not get a breath and I heard him say put your head under the watter.
He told me that 3 times as i was treading water above the net.

Some of the gates were open so current was against me.
I figured what the heck and I went under head and all. Came up for air and now i could breath just fine..Odd i thought .

Then i thought time to get the net.
I went down and got it unstuck and jerked on the rope around my waist and he hauled me in.
I warmed up in just a few minutes by the fire.

This was many years ago.
Last year he stuck the net in mid march same river and got in the water.. he could not breath and stuck his head under and came back up for air and said he still could not breath and got back out.. but he did get the net.. it was only about 7 feet down in the spot he stuck it.

Fun times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom