2 weeks notice...how do ya do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honest question, I've never done this.
Job offer came up, better pay, better benefits and lots of OT.

I get to put my 2 weeks in for the first time.

Type an email? Print a letter?
Give it to your boss, or go further up the chain? Give it to the 3 people above me?
Talk to HR first then do email/letter afterwards?

Am I putting too much thought into this?

Whats the notice supposed to say?
Do it ASAP (tomorrow) or wait til Friday?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya man...I just dont want to burn any bridges as I do like working with several of my coworkers, one of which is my direct manager.
I also need to talk to HR to see how accrued PTO is paid out or if it is at all. That may play part of my decision.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have done a few. I always just given it verbally to my manager. Oh course I thought about what I was going to say before I went in. I have heard several people have went above their boss or directly to hr and it caused issues.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right, but in the event you DO get laid off, it's smart not to have burned bridges in the past.

This is true. My advice is to write a letter stating your reasons why and also expressing regret that you have to leave and hope to return if things don’t work out.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will they let you work the two weeks? Some places let you go on the spot. Will your new job let you start early if they let you go? Give the notice verbally to your immediate supervisor. If they want a resignation letter you can always type one up. Don’t feel bad if you have to give a “2 day” notice, as in “I quit 2 day.”

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Will they let you work the two weeks? Some places let you go on the spot. Will your new job let you start early if they let you go? Give the notice verbally to your immediate supervisor. If they want a resignation letter you can always type one up. Don’t feel bad if you have to give a “2 day” notice, as in “I quit 2 day.”

yeah, it's your prerogative, but 2 weeks is the standard.

it depends on the industry your in, and your position.

but generally, you can just verbally inform your manager. for a more professional job, a letter might be appropriate as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom