2 weeks notice...how do ya do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It must be in the air, I turned in my 3 weeks today. It actually got a little heated. He's retiring at the end of may, it's the only reason I was looking for another place. this one was my top choice, better pay and benefits, but they're not going to hold it till the end then. I talked them into waiting till the 16th, which is when we'll stop seeing patients. I feel bad about leaving him in the lurch with the final 2 weeks, but it is what it is.
He left saying "we'll talk more about this tomorrow."
i immediately called the new place and told them I might be available sooner.

Jeez, what is it with old farts?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dear (manager),

I would like to inform you of my resignation from (Company name), effective two weeks from today, X/XX/XXXX.
I appreciate the opportunities you have given me during my time here.
Please let me know what assistance I can provide during this period.

Thanks,
adamsredlines

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WON'T see past his own nose. Caojyn went farther than what was required/expected of him.

that's just my opinion, though.

There. Fixed it for ya.

And I agree. He'd have spoken to me like that and I would have considered whatever time I'd worked on this pay period my parting gift to him because I would have turned on my heel and the breeze my departure out the front door would have created would have yanked the old man off his feet.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean, I get it. I am leaving him in the lurch for those final 2 weeks, and going into that conversation I actually felt pretty bad (it's a shock i know) but it started to wane the longer it went on. Lol

Oh, I know. But that's the thing. He's done his time. He's RETIRING. He ought to understand that that leaves YOU in a lurch if you don't have another job to go to. He offer to keep paying you your full salary and bennies until another position comes along? Yeah, didn't think so. He gets no sympathy from me.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some companies require 2 weeks notice otherwise you'll not be rehired.
If you're going to work for a competitor expect to be terminated immediately.

This has happened to me. And I saw it happen to others. Employers who expected more than a 2-weeks notice routinely terminated even stellar employees on the spot if notice was given, even if they were leaving to go to an unrelated field.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I like it @adamsredlines . Short and to the point. My last job I took it directly to the president of the company, because I had 3 or 4 "superiors" plus him. So I went to the top. I told him verbally along with the letter.

I agree with the sentiment to not put any details or reason in the written letter, or express regret. The only way I would ever consider a counter offer would be if I was leaving SOLELY because of a better offer. If there was any other reason, ie: job satisfaction, poor pay, bad management; I wouldn't want to stay for just a little more money anyways. If you did, the likelihood of ending up in the same boat later on is high.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like adamsredlines said.Be brief and to the point.I quit a job I had been at for several years, went to the new job with better pay and benefits.I hated the new job the first week and wished I hadn't left the old job.Ran into my old boss 2 months later and they said they really missed me and asked me to come back.Went back to the old job with more money and another week of vacation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom