2 weeks notice...how do ya do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a few points to "address".

I'm getting better pay and benefits, but there's an intangible aspect that the new place can offer that the old place cant, money aside.
New place knows it'll be at least two weeks. I did my interview with them at the very beginning of the month and it was basically a "do you have any questions for US, because you're hired"....the timeframe between now and then has been getting all the particulars worked out.

Looks like I will call HR of new place tomorrow morning and talk to them about a few things and shore up a start date, then go talk to my current HR (which SHOULD be confidential) to figure out PTO/sick leave, then hit my manager on the way back to my desk.

Yeehaw!

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, but in the event you DO get laid off, it's smart not to have burned bridges in the past.
True I have been where I am now for dam near ten years and have a pretty good relationship with management if I was to have a brain fart or something I would just tell them personally

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of good advice about not burning bridges. Every company I left to improve my lot in life has tried to hire me back, and have gone back to some as a contractor after hours for some specific work in my field at a MUCH HIGHER rate than I got while working for them. Nice bonus money.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Walk in to HR and say "I need to put in my two weeks notice. What is the policy on that?" They will tell you what the policy is and if there is a form, a song and dance or whatever you have to do then do it. However if they try to screw you around after putting it in kick the door and walk out.... Done it before and some places are jerks when the crap has rolled down to them over the deal.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on where you work put in two weeks notice to your immediate supervisor and maybe even HR, be ready to be let go on the spot. Where i work company policy is that upon end of employment any PTO is to be paid out on next paycheck, I still wouldn't put in two weeks notice without next employer being able to have me start sooner. Some places i have worked i would rather just walk in and say i quit good luck training a replacement.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has happened to me. And I saw it happen to others. Employers who expected more than a 2-weeks notice routinely terminated even stellar employees on the spot if notice was given, even if they were leaving to go to an unrelated field.

Depending on the position held and the person serving notice, I have walked them out on the spot. Not in a negative light but as a matter of practice and client protection (Like I said, depending on the position and the person). In other instances I have also let them finish out the 2 weeks and paired them with a person to take on their responsibilities. On a couple occasions, I've even had a discussion with the individual or their new employer to negotiate a longer notice period due to the need for knowledge transfer.

In all cases, the individual serving notice was paid their full salary and benefits were retained through the notice period, regardless of they were walked out immediately or not. It's just the right thing to do.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always believe honesty is the best policy. Last time I went to my boss and explained that I had gotten another job offer and why I felt the need to take it. At that time my family had grown and it was a financial no brainer......Kind of hard, as a boss, not to be able to understand someone leaving for better pay, better benifits, etc.....

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to consider is any paid vacation you have coming. I tried to be considerate and scheduled my last day so as to not leave them without any coverage. It just happened to be the third day of the next pay period. I thought I would get those three days plus accrued leave on my last check. Instead, they paid me for the three days on that check and waited another pay period before they paid me my accrued leave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom