20 Gauge For Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going turkey hunting this Spring and my only option for now is a 20 gauge with a full choke.

Any ammo recommendations for me in either 2 3/4 or 3 inch?

I'm using my old Mossberg bolt action that my dad bought me when I was fourteen. I've killed a lot of birds with it but never any turkey.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Either one is fine. Find a 2 3/4" or 3" pheasant or turkey load with #5 or #6. I'm not always really big into the patterning thing, but full choke out of 20g is usually an extremely small pattern, make sure you know where it's shooting or you may miss up close. Good luck and take pics!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a turkey hunter, but I'd go with 3" mags and #4 shot. From what I understand, they're pretty skittish and you won't get many close-up opportunities.

A few rounds into a large piece of cardboard at various distances is definitely a good idea. Close shots usually hit higher than you think, and you'll get a better idea of the shot spread.

Just my 2¢ ...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The sporting part of turkey hunting is to call them in close enough that a dove load would work. Shooting one at 60 yards with some speciality shot doesn't appeal to me, but may to others. To each their own.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sporting part of turkey hunting is to call them in close enough that a dove load would work. Shooting one at 60 yards with some speciality shot doesn't appeal to me, but may to others. To each their own.
Some might say the same about rattling up bucks, but that doesn't take the pleasure out of scoring a long range kill for most folks. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks might say the same about rattling up bucks, but that doesn't take the pleasure out of scoring a long range kill for most folks. ;)
Depends which animal I'm hunting. Elk, I'm fine with as long of a shot as possible. Deer too.
I just get more pleasure out of calling turkey than killing them. That's why I said to each their own. I didn't judge.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest pattern your .20 qauge at 20, 25 and 30 yards at a turkey target and count your number of hits. Now you will be confident with your ability. I agree with hi brass 4's or 6's.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well I picked two loads to pattern. Federal Strut-Shock 3" , 11/4 oz, #5, 1185 fps, and Winchester Double X 3", 1 1/4 oz, #5, 1185 fps.

I also already have some Heavy Shot Dove load that's 2 3/4", 1 oz, #6, 1165 fps to pattern.

a12dcf9f0e115ff311457034a9c96dfd.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom