2001 Accord Starting problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2001 Accord Starting problems

When I tried to start the vehicle the gear shift was locked in park. Used a screwdriver in console to unlock. Battery fine. Checked all fuses. Brake switch seems to be working. Gear linkage ok. Thinking maybe interlock switch? Only 115 k miles on this car...first "major" problem with it. Any suggestions? Anyone know a good Honda mechanic in midtown Tulsa?

TIA,
Joe

Last edited:

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It won’t crank, or cranks but won’t start? Know anybody with a code reader so you can check for error codes? Have you tried starting it in neutral? Check out Dynamic Automotive, 4625 E 11th St.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need more details. What does it do when you turn the key on? What does it do when you try to start it?

How do you know the battery is good? Did you have it load tested?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 star is good, but expensive. I work on Hondas and have a couple of 98-02 Accords for parts. I am about 15 minutes northwest of downtown. A code reader won't help you with that problem. I can also help you diagnose the problem if you want to be more descriptive. You get in the car to start it and it doesn't crank over? Do the lights on the dash come on?

OKjoe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys.

Doesn’t crank – Won’t start

I did try starting it in neutral.

The open circuit voltage of the battery tested 12.22 VDC…did not test under load. Went ahead and removed the battery (Honda 100 month from dealership, about five years old) and cleaned slight corrosion build up with baking soda paste and a wire brush terminal cleaner. Also tried starting it while jumping it with my wife’s car but made no difference.

When I turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position it beeps like normal and the usual lights on the instrument panel come on.

When I turn the key to the “START” position I hear one click that seems to be coming from around the passenger side fuse box. No clicking like a starter problem (I did lightly tap on the starter with a hammer). A couple of times I heard a slight buzzing sound/ squeal coming from somewhere underneath the dash above the brake pedal.

The AAA guy that towed it back to the house suspected that it might be the gear shift linkage but after getting under the car while having me slowly shift back and forth said he didn’t think that was the problem.

Update: Just tried starting it again before posting this and the engine turned over a few times like it was going to start but didn’t. Maybe something to do with the temperature? Still randomly locking itself in park.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check the voltage while having trying to start it. Or take the battery to a parts store and have them check it. I would also check all the battery cables and make sure they are tight. Sounds like the battery or a bad connection somewhere.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there is enough voltage to turn on the lights, there is enough to make the starter click usually, so the battery is probably ok. I have replaced a lot of ignition switches on 98-02 accords.

Latest posts

Top Bottom