2007 Chevy issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My nephew bought a 2007 Chevy extended cab w/either the 4.8 or 5.3 (I haven't looked yet). It has 175k miles on it and has low oil pressure. He has replaced the oil pump and the oil pressure sending unit and it did not fix the pressure. Also when he changed the oil it was pretty thick w/some sludge. My guess is that the sludge has clogged the oil guides (or whatever they are called.) What say you gearheads?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will look at the datastream and see what the sensor is reading. The cluster stepper motors fail on the 03-07 Silverado. I would also take the oil sensor out and clean out the oil port with a wire or something. Those can get gunked up and cause sensor issues. Those clusters get swapped all the time and are very easy to manipulate, so it may be higher mileage(250K+). If it has high miles, excessive clearances can cause low pressure- I shim the pumps to get a bit more out of them. The most common causes I see are stepper motors and oil pickup tube o ring failure.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Back in the old days depending on the type of oil and the miles on the engine, it wasn't all that uncommon for the oil pressure to drop some when everything warmed up and it would rise with the rpms. It was my understanding that as long as you had ten pounds of pressure for every 1000 rpms you were okay.

I don't know if that holds true with these newer rigs though because I've never owned anything newer than a 2003 and it held good oil pressure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom