2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has any thing to say about a 2009 Chevy Silverado Z71 I am looking at buying. It has 133,000 miles 5.3 V8 4X4 with locker and towing package. I have a 2000 Silverado with 260,000 and wondering if the 09 would be as good as the 2000 has been. Truck is in MO and working on seeing what I do on a deal with my truck in trade. They are asking top retail but we will have to see what they offer.
vp-186-5232192.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are just some of the things I've been burned on.

Look in the glove box for maintenance records. Check the thing everywhere for rust from underneath. Rocker panels and quarter panels especially. Check the bushings, motor mounts and cab mounts. Check the functionality of every switch, dial, cluster lights, etc. Look at the fuse boxes and see if there are any missing or any discoloration or burn marks. Look for wear on bolts you would have to take off for repair/maintenance. Look for missing bolts. Check the battery to see if it has been replaced. Have someone drive behind you and in front of you while you are driving the truck to see if it tracks correctly. Check the steering to see it it pulls. Check for vibrations you cannot account for in the truck not caused by the road. Check for squeaks and rattles. Check the A/C fan for squealing / operation. Check to see if it is the original engine, transmission.

Find a mechanic with a lift and have them check the truck with you. Carfax only works when the incidents are reported.​

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like most vehicles, a lot depends on the maintenance and the type of driving, as in short trips vs long road trips. Also puling heavier trailers causes a lot more wear. I would ask for the records.

I would also have a mechanic you trust look at it if possible.

Here’s a few things you can check yourself if you want to get under the vehicle:
Check the following:
Transmission fluid for bright red color, clear and no burn odor.
Check tansfercase fluid. It should look like brand new transmission fluid. Also check for any leaks. That is a chain drive case and the chain is known to wear through the aluminum housing, most of the time on the top where you can’t see the hole.
Check the fluid in the axels and for any leaks. Look for clarity and discoloration in the oil. Your looking for metal, dirt or moisture contamination.
Check the radiator to see if there is any buildup of corrosion.
Check the oil dipstick. A stained dipstick is an indication of long oil change intervals and running dirty oil.
Check the oil filler cap For signs of moisture.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it to a paint/body shop to see if it has been wrecked and repainted. If you don't want to do that at least open the driver's side door and get the paint code to see if it is the original color. Most of the time you can tell if it's been repainted by looking between the front of the bed and rear of the cab. They don't usually take the bed off to repaint between there.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
If you end up with it, take those chrome panels off. They are bad at causing rust underneath them. Particularly, if you drive on dirt roads and dust builds up behind them and holds moisture.
Which motor, 4.8,5.3 or 6 liter?

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 2010 Yukon 4x4 with 5.3L and 160,000 trouble free miles. Same bones as that truck. I would drive our Yukon across the country and back today. Rock solid vehicles.
20190112_112137.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom