2013 OYHSP New Mexico Rifle Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny because the last night I was there we had a long conversation at the dinner table about shooting sticks. The guides shared many stories of the similar experiences with hunters. Guess they didn't sink in. Too bad really, he was a nice guy and I truly wanted everyone to tag out, but you could tell he over-analyzed things and felt he needed the gadgets to help him perform.

One night they were discussing hand-loads and really getting into the intricacies of the art. Believe me, if I had the time I'd get into it more than I do but with four kids and all their activities I find that I don't really have the time to put into it like I should so I just sat there quietly and tried my hardest to stay out of the conversation because I'm sitting there with a box of factory loads. Mr. Shooting Sticks finally looks over at me and asks, "What kind of groups are you shooting?" and me being a little bit of a smart ass, said "Minute of Elk". Guides start laughing and he just gives me a blank look and moves on. Either I'm an idiot or he has no sense of humor...or both:)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take a calm relaxed shot at 350 yards 10 times out of 10 over having to rush a shot at 60 yards in the timber after hiking up the mountain. As I recall last year we had elk step out of a timbered draw just under a 100 yards. We were trudging through waist deep snow when the elk surprised us. They had us nailed and only presented a shot window of a couple seconds before they quickly trotted into more cover. We continued the stalk towards the herd, we had spotted before the other herd surprised us, I later dropped my elk at 330 yards with one well placed shot.

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a cow in NM last year and made the mistake of splitting the meat with my brother. My wife is starting to panic now that we are getting low.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the gentleman that dropped his shooting sticks has been watching too many episodes of "Under Wild Skies - Africa". I wonder if the son was his gun bearer and the guide was going to be his tracker...........sorry, I couldn't hep myself:sorry4:

Latest posts

Top Bottom