2014 Oklahoma Legislature Firearms Bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBHusted

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the final rule hasn't been issued yet (the comment period just closed), it's possible the BATFE might be closing the "trust loophole" in regards to CLEO signatures. My comment was that BATFE offices in areas where the CLEO refuses should be required to sign.

As a Class 3 dealer, I would *really* appreciate the CLEO being forced to sign off on NFA items. I've had a couple customers in Lincoln County (Prague, to be specific) have to go a different route after Chief Dudley in Prague refused to sign for them. She feels it "isn't safe for HER town", and therefore won't sign. There are other avenues, but it's insulting for a law-abiding citizen to a) have to beg for permission and then b) be refused arbitrarily.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While the final rule hasn't been issued yet (the comment period just closed), it's possible the BATFE might be closing the "trust loophole" in regards to CLEO signatures. My comment was that BATFE offices in areas where the CLEO refuses should be required to sign.

As for the DL/State ID requirement, it's stupid. The SDA License is an official state issued ID for the purposes of carry legality. It verifies the identity of the citizen just as well as a state ID from another office. Practically, it probably wouldn't have any impact at all. When I walk the dog and don't want to carry my wallet, I grab the SDA and DL to put in my pocket together. I can't imagine anyone having the cash to get the overly expensive SDA license and not for a state ID or DL.

The other funny thing is the SDA permit DOES count as a second form of ID at the DPS, if you don't want to haul in a birth certificate.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't imagine anyone having the cash to get the overly expensive SDA license and not for a state ID or DL.

It's not necessarily an issue of cash, but rather principles.

Then again, I'd question the consistency of someone who would get a handgun license while foregoing a driver's license "on principle".

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Do municipal and county LEOs have the discretion to sign or not?
If not, then Tim Gillespie (OK2A) mentioned a bill up this session that would not let them deny the signature if you are legally able to own a firearm.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: SB1258:

Why should a valid DL be required in addition to a permit? That further restricts the right to keep and bear arms...

The DL is required to be carried along with the permit, but the law only requires us to show the permit. Someone happened to think that if we are required to carry the DL, it should be written that we are required to show it. I'd be perfectly fine if they would strike the whole thing about being required to show unless suspected of a crime.

RE: SB1264:

The removals are a consolidation of language. Additionally, I believe the only places where parimutuel betting are allowed are already prohibited under tribal law because they belong to Indian tribes and the State of Oklahoma has no jurisdiction there. When you enter the Remington Park property, you are on Chickasaw Nation property, for example.

I can see how that could be a consolidation of language as Oklahoma doesn't have any open air prohibited places.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a Class 3 dealer, I would *really* appreciate the CLEO being forced to sign off on NFA items. I've had a couple customers in Lincoln County (Prague, to be specific) have to go a different route after Chief Dudley in Prague refused to sign for them. She feels it "isn't safe for HER town", and therefore won't sign. There are other avenues, but it's insulting for a law-abiding citizen to a) have to beg for permission and then b) be refused arbitrarily.

Do municipal and county LEOs have the discretion to sign or not?
If not, then Tim Gillespie (OK2A) mentioned a bill up this session that would not let them deny the signature if you are legally able to own a firearm.

CLEO's currently have discretionary power over the NFA process for individuals. That's why Trusts got so popular as a means to bypass them. If BATFE gets their way and requires CLEO signoff on Trusts & Corps., it will set up a legal challenge avenue to require THEM to do it. I'm all for that, because it would no longer be discretionry. If it's legal in your jurisdiction and you're not a prohibited person, they'd be forced to approve.

I'm not sure whether the state legislature could force local CLEO's to sign off. I know for a fact the U.S. government can't (see Printz v. U.S.).

Personally, I think it's past time to force the federal government to serve the public and do it. I'd like to see an automatic system, whereby BATFE has a set amount of time to process the application, or it gets passed on to the NFA branch without requiring a local office signature. That way offices in anti-gun jurisdictions couldn't "slow roll" applicants as a deterrent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom