2014 Oklahoma Legislature Firearms Bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that a lot of complaints have been had about CLEO's not signing off. Saw a bill being brought up in Virginia that gives a CLEO 15 days to sign if the person is not prohibited, might be something to pass along to our representatives to think about as well.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?141+sum+HB878

Law-enforcement certification of certain firearms. Requires that when certification of a chief law-enforcement officer is required by federal law for transfer of a firearm, as defined in the National Firearms Act, such certification must be provided within 15 days if the applicant is not prohibited by law from receiving the firearm. The definition of "firearm" includes machine guns, rifles and shotguns of a certain length, weapons made from certain rifles or shotguns, silencers, and destructive devices.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a Class 3 dealer, I would *really* appreciate the CLEO being forced to sign off on NFA items. I've had a couple customers in Lincoln County (Prague, to be specific) have to go a different route after Chief Dudley in Prague refused to sign for them. She feels it "isn't safe for HER town", and therefore won't sign. There are other avenues, but it's insulting for a law-abiding citizen to a) have to beg for permission and then b) be refused arbitrarily.

We have the same problem in rogers county. Sheriff walton refuses to sign off on a form.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like 1258. If we are driving and don't have our gun with us we don't have to inform or show our permit. If we are carrying and not driving we have to show our permit. That makes sense.

Why should we have to have two forms of ID just because our gun is open to view? If we are open carrying on a motorcycle i could agree.

The permit alone should be enough for any thing involving a gun. The DL should only come into it if you are driving.

Ok, lets get a rider on the DL for a carry permit so one ID works for both. That makes the most sense.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like 1258. If we are driving and don't have our gun with us we don't have to inform or show our permit. If we are carrying and not driving we have to show our permit. That makes sense.

Why should we have to have two forms of ID just because our gun is open to view? If we are open carrying on a motorcycle i could agree.

The permit alone should be enough for any thing involving a gun. The DL should only come into it if you are driving.

Ok, lets get a rider on the DL for a carry permit so one ID works for both. That makes the most sense.

The law currently states that if you are carrying, you have to carry both forms of ID. The law does not currently state you have to provide both forms of ID. Someones idea of making sense is that if you have to carry both, you should have to show both if asked.

I don't agree with this bill, but I can understand the thinking of the person who wrote it.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SB1334 preventing law enforcement from disarming people on their own property
Specifies that absent RAS of a crime, someone cannot be disarmed for carrying a firearm on their own property.

SB1357 Allowing County Commissioners to carry firearms anywhere in the state
Why must we constantly exempt persons in a government office and give them more "liberty" than everyone else??

SB1363 Allowing College and Tech Centers to make their own firearms rules for general public
Universities and Tech centers can grant students permission to carry on campus, but the student would have to carry that permission slip with them. This would allow the college or university to make a blanket policy for non-students.

SB1442 Allowing retired or defeated district attorneys to carry a firearm anywhere in the state
See comment for SB1357

SB1466 Changes to College Carry
Colleges would no longer have to report SDA infractions to OSBI. They would also become exempt from liability for allowing persons to carry on the property

SB1473 Piers Morgan Constitutional Right To Keep and Bear Arms Without Infringement Act

Legislated unlicensed open (and long gun on a sling) carry

SB1753 Provides parking lot exemption in school parking lots

Would allow you to leave your firearm in your car, parked on school property, while you go inside

SB2079 Modify definition of pistol
From something that can "...discharge a projectile..." to "...discharge projectiles..."

SB2101 Universal Background Checks

Would require background checks when individuals are selling a firearm at a gun show as an exhibitor. Seller would have to keep records. Buyers are exempt if they have a Handgun License. This needs to die in committee.

SB2109 Limits purchases to 1 of any type of firearm per month
Self explanatory. This needs to die in committee

HJR 1085 Constitutional Carry
Would put fourth a change to the OK constitution to a vote of the people that would require strict scrutiny when legislating carry of firearms.

HB3414 Revocation of License
Allows family members to get a handgun license revoked if you become mentally unstable

Last edited:

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HJR 1085 would not remove the ability of the legislature to legislate/regulate the carrying of firearms, but rather any provisions would be subject to strict scrutiny.

Strict scrutiny places the burden on the government to prove that a regulation furthers a compelling government interest, is as narrowly tailored as possible, and is the least restrictive means. Intermediate scrutiny only requires that a regulation furthers an important government interest.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HJR 1085 would not remove the ability of the legislature to legislate/regulate the carrying of firearms, but rather any provisions would be subject to strict scrutiny.

Strict scrutiny places the burden on the government to prove that a regulation furthers a compelling government interest, is as narrowly tailored as possible, and is the least restrictive means. Intermediate scrutiny only requires that a regulation furthers an important government interest.

I stand corrected. At least I know someone else is reading them though :)

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The law currently states that if you are carrying, you have to carry both forms of ID. The law does not currently state you have to provide both forms of ID. Someones idea of making sense is that if you have to carry both, you should have to show both if asked.

I don't agree with this bill, but I can understand the thinking of the person who wrote it.

So, would this mean that if your DL/State ID expired your carry permit is not valid? This would be another sensible reason to combine them and adjust the renew rates.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought someone mentioned there being a bill requiring CLEO sign-off for NFA items? I didn't see that in any of the proposed bills but would be very much in favor of such a bill.

HB3414 Revocation of License
Allows family members to get a handgun license revoked if you become mentally unstable

I see the likely well-intentioned thought behind this, but there seems to be the potential for malicious use of this one by disgruntled or anti-gun/concealed carry spouses, cousins, in-laws, etc... As written it seems incredibly vague as to who qualifies as a family member and what information would actually be required to make the determination, i.e. would they need medical documentation to substantiate the claim or would just an unqualified personal assessment of someone be enough?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
These bills seem more sizzle than steak to me.

Whatever happened to the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act?

[video=youtube_share;5FBlC24LP6M]http://youtu.be/5FBlC24LP6M[/video]

How about a bill that would make Oklahoma a NFA shall issue state, if not for all NFA items, at least for suppressors? Especially since hunting with a suppressor on private property is legal now.

Color me underwhelmed.

Agreed

Latest posts

Top Bottom