2014 Oklahoma Legislature Firearms Bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I may have interpreted this incorrectly. It seems this bill would prevent you from carrying your handgun at all on school property, even for drop off and pick up. This one needs to die in committee.

I guess there have been some folks with handgun licenses doing drive by shootings when picking up their kids. It's all about the kids ya know.

rusty-c

Marksman
Reaction score
I think I may have interpreted this incorrectly. It seems this bill would prevent you from carrying your handgun at all on school property, even for drop off and pick up. This one needs to die in committee.

I'd like to see it amended as I understand your position. But if I interpret this correctly, this bill would allow a school employee to secure their weapon in their privately owned vehicle while inside. Feel free to let me know if I'm off base here...

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to see it amended as I understand your position. But if I interpret this correctly, this bill would allow a school employee to secure their weapon in their privately owned vehicle while inside. Feel free to let me know if I'm off base here...

I don't believe that is correct. The bill (SB1753) strictly removes the exception for people being able to have a firearm in there car when picking up or dropping a child off, from what I can see. The below text is the exception that the bill aims to remove:

"or a handgun carried in a vehicle pursuant to a
valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self - Defense Act,
provided such vehicle containing said gun or knife is driven onto
school property only to transport a student to and from school and
such vehicle does not remain unattended on school property
"

This is a purely anti-concealed carry bill with no benefits. I hope it goes nowhere.

The bill I hope gets traction is HB2887 which would allow students with a permit to carry on college campuses.

/Standard disclaimer that I'm not a lawyer and not giving any legal advice.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The current law does not allow an employee to secure a handgun in their car while inside. It does allow people to drop of and pick up their kids from school as long as they remain with the vehicle. The new law would read as follows:
A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept
in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as
required by law

Therefore only guns designed for hunting or fishing purposes would be allowed to be stored in vehicles on school property. I think it would be pretty hard to find someone to agree that a handgun was designed for hunting purposes, thus you would not be able to store a handgun in your car on school property. This is where I misread the bill the first time through. This also specifically removes the pick up and drop off exemption.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The current law does not allow an employee to secure a handgun in their car while inside. It does allow people to drop of and pick up their kids from school as long as they remain with the vehicle. The new law would read as follows:
A gun or knife designed for hunting or fishing purposes kept
in a privately owned vehicle and properly displayed or stored as
required by law

Therefore only guns designed for hunting or fishing purposes would be allowed to be stored in vehicles on school property. I think it would be pretty hard to find someone to agree that a handgun was designed for hunting purposes, thus you would not be able to store a handgun in your car on school property. This is where I misread the bill the first time through. This also specifically removes the pick up and drop off exemption.

Also, the hunting and fishing exemption is already in-place in the current SDA, it is not being added by this bill.

/Not an attorney and nothing said should be construed as legal advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom