2014 Oklahoma Legislature Firearms Bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not every city is going to be able to afford to do that. Imagine putting checkpoints at the entrance to every public library and community center. Hrmm...wonder if this would work as a jobs creation bill?? :scratch:

You are saying that like it has hindered government in the past.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A proposed law that would ease school rules when it comes to fake weapons is causing a stir.
It's called the "Common Sense Zero Tolerance Act" and the bill's author says it will protect children in school.

"Real intent, real threats and real weapons should always be dealt with immediately. We need to stop criminalizing children's imagination and childhood play," explained Sally Kern, Republican from Oklahoma City.

http://www.news9.com/story/24410685/common-sense-zero-tolerance-act News 9 is discussing this as I type. As I understand it, Kern's bill is intended to prevent the pastry gun, pretend gun finger, etc. from being grounds for punishment at school.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think fashioning a gun out of a Wal Mart brand "Pop Tart" should be illegal, if it can be found that it's unable to have the tensile strength that a Kellogg's Pop Tart does.

Along those same lines, if a pastry is chocolate, and therefore resembles the appearance of a real pistol, it should have restrictions....I can see the sense in that.

Common sense dictates that if a Pop Tart has those colored sprinkles on it, it's not going to resemble a handgun, and shouldn't have restrictions.

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, we played "army" on the playground a lot, and our preferred weapon of choice were fully automatic weapons, which required us to use two hands to pretend we were holding a machine gun.

What kind of an idiot child gun brings a single handed finger pistol to a playground battlefield full of two handed pretend machine guns?

I won't even get into the fact that we also had invisible pretend hand grenades on the playground.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
These bills seem more sizzle than steak to me.

Whatever happened to the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act?

[video=youtube_share;5FBlC24LP6M]http://youtu.be/5FBlC24LP6M[/video]

How about a bill that would make Oklahoma a NFA shall issue state, if not for all NFA items, at least for suppressors? Especially since hunting with a suppressor on private property is legal now.

Color me underwhelmed.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I talked to Tim Gillespie (OK2A) last week. It *sounds* like the House won't be a problem, but the Senate will need some. . .encouragement. . .to move on 'em.

He's also talking like they are gonna try to push through a change to the Oklahoma Constitution.

If the Legislature is problematic, bypass them with an initiative petition to put it on the ballot.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These bills seem more sizzle than steak to me.

Whatever happened to the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act?

[video=youtube_share;5FBlC24LP6M]http://youtu.be/5FBlC24LP6M[/video]

How about a bill that would make Oklahoma a NFA shall issue state, if not for all NFA items, at least for suppressors? Especially since hunting with a suppressor on private property is legal now.

Color me underwhelmed.

1) I think we'd all like a Firearms Freedom Act, but it would be purely symbolic. Nothing wrong with symbolic bills, but the financial end of a FFA is very limited.

2) Making Oklahoma a "shall issue" NFA state is a whole different can of worms. NFA items are regulated at the national level. . .hence the name "National Firearms Act." To bypass that you'd really need a FFA that applied to NFA items. Unless by "shall issue" you mean forcing CLOEs to sign off on suppressors. . .which is fine, but there are several people who can sign off on those or you can go the trust route and bypass them altogether.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) I think we'd all like a Firearms Freedom Act, but it would be purely symbolic. Nothing wrong with symbolic bills, but the financial end of a FFA is very limited.

2) Making Oklahoma a "shall issue" NFA state is a whole different can of worms. NFA items are regulated at the national level. . .hence the name "National Firearms Act." To bypass that you'd really need a FFA that applied to NFA items. Unless by "shall issue" you mean forcing CLOEs to sign off on suppressors. . .which is fine, but there are several people who can sign off on those or you can go the trust route and bypass them altogether.

There is a bill that will in effect be shall issue to address the problem of sheriffs not signing off. HJR 1026 will also be back with some new wording (Constitutional Amendment)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: SB1258:

Why should a valid DL be required in addition to a permit? That further restricts the right to keep and bear arms...

RE: SB1264:

The removals are a consolidation of language. Additionally, I believe the only places where parimutuel betting are allowed are already prohibited under tribal law because they belong to Indian tribes and the State of Oklahoma has no jurisdiction there. When you enter the Remington Park property, you are on Chickasaw Nation property, for example.

Latest posts

Top Bottom