2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a great greenhouse, I never thought about cattle panels used that way, but they are super tuff.. Gotta withstand cows anyway. That looks big enough for you to grow and sell hothouse tomatos.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Guys using some hydropinic tech for seed starts is crazy!!! I started my seeds just 5 days ago.... I used Rockwool starter plugs, and a 4 part hydroponic solution and today all 18 of my tomm plants have sprouted... And several other random rows of other stuff is just breaking through.. This is crazy.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I start mine in dirt but I put them in my comm closet (enough gear running in it to keep it in the mid 80s or so) and they sprout in no time!
Free heat!! Yea!
Do you know about or notice a difference starting seeds in the dark vs with light..? I understand some seeds need darkness to start, maybe others not so much...one thing I run into with YouTube videos and the alternative gardening or high-er tech gardens is I have to appreciate the info and replace Pot with tomatoes and peppers..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Asperagus takes two seasons right? If so will those bundels save me one season so I can get a crop sooner?

My beds are over 20 years old. I planted some Jersey Giant about 5 years ago. They were 3 year old crowns, so I could pick for two weeks the first year.

The Jersey Giant is far superior to the Martha Washington in my beds. Twice the yield and three times the diameter.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My beds are over 20 years old. I planted some Jersey Giant about 5 years ago. They were 3 year old crowns, so I could pick for two weeks the first year.

The Jersey Giant is far superior to the Martha Washington in my beds. Twice the yield and three times the diameter.
I guess seeds take two years to produce an eatable crop... I have seen at the big box stores and the feed store a bundle that looks like a bundle of cut asparagus with a root ball...I think that may save a season...sorta line buying bulbs vrs seeds.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess seeds take two years to produce an eatable crop... I have seen at the big box stores and the feed store a bundle that looks like a bundle of cut asparagus with a root ball...I think that may save a season...sorta line buying bulbs vrs seeds.

You can buy one, two or three year crowns. The one year don't allow picking at all the first year and only a week the second. Two weeks on the third year.
Two year crowns, pick for one week, and so on.

I've got about 30 crowns in my beds. Last year, we picked almost a pound a day. Its really good for you, but after awhile, you get tired of eating it.

When I get to that point, I take it as well as other surplus vegetables to the county senior citizen center where they offer noon meals for seniors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom