2016-2017 Waterfowl Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First setup this morning had birds right at shooting light, then it died off, so we moved to another location and jumped 300 birds going in. We quickly the or a dozen decoys and jumped into the brush. The birds kept coming in to 50 yards then circling off. I pulled and rearranged the decoys 6 times until no decoys were out. Birds kept coming but wouldn't commit. My buddy ended up with 4 and I couldn't manage to hit one and keep it down. Happened multiple times. I'd go to get them and they'd take off swimming, so I'd get the boat then they'd fly off. Was a heck of a show though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
-25 hunts, of which only 3 were field hunts...........that's usually the other way around us.
-5 geese and 1 mallard drake off of grain this year, craziness. Had access to lot's of grain fields, but we never seemed to have the X.
-Had one water hunt and one field hunt where we were skunked.
-Most mallards and pins ever, fewest wigeon ever.
-12 BWT taken in September, 5 ducks taken during first half of split. Hardly any birds around until after the split.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20170129_192452_zpsuy9atukc.jpg

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like hunting with me, Make. lol.

All season, my son has really been trying to shoot his first duck. Well yesterday, last day in the blind, we have a big group of gads come in around 7:30am. Where am I? I'm back in the bushes taking a leak of course. I heard them whisltling in to the pond way before I saw them. I turned around to see my son dust a nice drake. After high-fiving and everything I go out to get his duck. Now, the duck has been floating in the same spot for a couple minutes, not flopping or anything. All of a sudden, the stupid duck sits up straight in the water and starts swimming. I told my son to reload and finish him off. As he's putting a shell in, the drake takes up off the water and flies off! The look on my son's face was devastating. Only thing I could really think to tell him was, "Well, them's the breaks, huh?"

He took it well. On the way home he mentioned how cool it was to hear a group of ducks before you even see them. I agreed and started plotting our revenge for next year.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol MG tell him it happened to me 3 times yesterday! I couldn't believe it. These birds were hit solid and fell as though dead then bam! Bird gods revived them and off they went, not giving a chance at a follow up shot. I was using #2 and a full choke...

Latest posts

Top Bottom