2016 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How deep do Tomatoes, Cucumbers, maybe Squash need to grow? I'm thinking about doing "raised beds" on legs to keep the dog from watering the garden. My wife wants to be able to garden while the toddler plays out back. I did the pallet garden beds last year, and while it did serve it's purpose, I will never make anything with pallets again.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine are 12 inches deep on top of natural soil. I assume that root growth goes below the 10 inches of soil i have in them, if the plants need it.

Since you are making beds with legs, I would make 10 inches the minimum... make em as deep as you can!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How deep do Tomatoes, Cucumbers, maybe Squash need to grow? I'm thinking about doing "raised beds" on legs to keep the dog from watering the garden. My wife wants to be able to garden while the toddler plays out back. I did the pallet garden beds last year, and while it did serve it's purpose, I will never make anything with pallets again.

If you buy some tall spindly tomato starters from somewhere, plant them in a trench sideways leaving the top branch of leaves on the surface. Roots will develop over the stem that is buried that enables it to suck up more moisture.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you do with Kale? I've always heard about people planting it, what's the best way to eat it?
Sorry i didn't see this until Dale reposted it.

We love Kale chips. Tear off leaf blades from the mid rib into palm size pieces. cover in olive oil. I like to put a quarter size dollop of oil into my palm, pretend to wash my hands with it. Then handle the kale pieces and try to cover all sides with a bit of oil. Place Kale on a baking pan so that they are not too crowded. They can touch but you don't want to have pieces laying on another. Salt and pepper. Place in oven @400 for 10-15 minutes. We like to take them out when the tips of the pieces get crispy. Your milage may vary. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a small garden this year, two 4x8 raised beds made from landscape timbers. Our new puppy ate the only Jalapeno plant we had planted, it already had a small one growing. The cucumber got sick so we pulled it. Tomatoes are doing good though. I put chicken wire around the tomato bed so it should be safe. Now we just need to start some new plants in the empty bed. The baby has helped alot with the graden pulling weeds and throwing dirt. She might have a green thumb in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom