2016 Oklahoma Fishing Picture Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The water is definitely heating up. The bite was super slow this morning. I caught 2 largemouth and had a third throw the bait. Guess it's time to switch to catfish and crappie.
That's when I typically move to night fishing, or deeper/slower during the day. My son wants big catfish, so we're focusing on that right now.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's when I typically move to night fishing, or deeper/slower during the day. My son wants big catfish, so we're focusing on that right now.
Yeah, I'm thinking that is where I'm at. I've never fished for large catfish, specifically, but I'm willing to try anything. The largest cat I've caught was a 13lb blue.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking that is where I'm at. I've never fished for large catfish, specifically, but I'm willing to try anything. The largest cat I've caught was a 13lb blue.
I haven't either. I've caught some big ones by accident on trotlines/limblines, and been in the water when others noodled some big ones (learned that's not for me). It's a new learning adventure, so that's fun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thermocline has developed in most lakes now. Almost no oxygen below it, so its a waste of time fishing at depth. Most lakes right now will have a thermocline at 12-15 feet so plan accordingly. You will need a depth locator to find what it is in your area. Most fish will be right above it.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thermocline has developed in most lakes now. Almost no oxygen below it, so its a waste of time fishing at depth. Most lakes right now will have a thermocline at 12-15 feet so plan accordingly. You will need a depth locator to find what it is in your area. Most fish will be right above it.
Interesting note, Dennis. I'm about to sell my boat, so I'll just have to guess, like usual. Lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you can jump in, swim down until you feel that band of cold water and you would be at the thermocline. LOL.
:burnout:
I've read of some guys fishing below the thermocline with jugs. They are pulling up dead fish. They will go below to feed on occasion, but just can't live long there. I've wasted a lot of time fishing in the summer before learning about it.

FireFighter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been chasing walleye for years and finally starting to figure it out a little bit. Got lucky a couple of weeks ago and landed these two along with three others. One was pretty decent, 24", and the other two 18" and 15". Almost had my first 6 fish limit!

FireFighter87

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy and I catch most of ours trolling crank baits. Bandit 200/300's and wiggle warts mostly. We have found having your crank bait making contact with he bottom seems to help. Especially at hefner, canton, or carl blackwell for saugeye. When we fish Broken Bow we catch them in open water, but not near as consistently.

We fish out of a big deck boat with no trolling motor, so vertical jigging is out of the equation for us. We also catch a few drifting lindy rigs with shiners or nightcrawler. Trolling and listening to music is a lot more entertaining for us. We don't take it too seriously.

Latest posts

Top Bottom