2017-18 controlled hunts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McClura

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Oh no doubt it would still be hard. I think at the very least they ought to do like some states. Assign everyone a random number and your preference points acts as a dividing number. Those with the lowest number get a tag. Everybody has a chance this way but those with the most points really have the best odds. Simply putting your name in the hat 20 times with so many other applications doesn't help much.

Just found this place. Some good reading and information.
I drew McAlester Ammunition Depot, Oct 26-29 in Deer Creek. Can't wait. I have hunted Deer Creek four times and have a place I will make a beeline to put up stands the day of scouting.
The Depot is a great place to hunt. Been there 6 times in the last 20 years. Also drew a Archery Tag in Kansas this year. Hunt only Traditional for archery and have been hunting there for 20 years also.
The Oklahoma Elk hunt at Wichita Mtns is a great hunt. I drew it in 2010, either sex and took a nice 5x6 bull the second day in the snow. What a hunt.
I say put in for every hunt Oklahoma offers. The only way you can draw is apply. Odds are not that great but it's nice when you draw. Done the Elk Hunt, drew Antelope tag in 2009, doe tag and found a good spot in NW Oklahoma where the land owners don't like the antelope and had a great hunt. Took the doe with a pistol. I'm working on another Osage primitive bow to hunt McAlester this year. Hope to have my stone points on some bamboo shafts and everything dialed in before October.
Take care and good luck on your hunts.
Mike

Roughrider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just found this place. Some good reading and information.
I drew McAlester Ammunition Depot, Oct 26-29 in Deer Creek. Can't wait. I have hunted Deer Creek four times and have a place I will make a beeline to put up stands the day of scouting.
The Depot is a great place to hunt. Been there 6 times in the last 20 years. Also drew a Archery Tag in Kansas this year. Hunt only Traditional for archery and have been hunting there for 20 years also.
The Oklahoma Elk hunt at Wichita Mtns is a great hunt. I drew it in 2010, either sex and took a nice 5x6 bull the second day in the snow. What a hunt.
I say put in for every hunt Oklahoma offers. The only way you can draw is apply. Odds are not that great but it's nice when you draw. Done the Elk Hunt, drew Antelope tag in 2009, doe tag and found a good spot in NW Oklahoma where the land owners don't like the antelope and had a great hunt. Took the doe with a pistol. I'm working on another Osage primitive bow to hunt McAlester this year. Hope to have my stone points on some bamboo shafts and everything dialed in before October.
Take care and good luck on your hunts.
Mike
This will be my first time at MCAAP I also drew Deer Creek, any thing special to look for in that area?

McClura

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my first time at MCAAP I also drew Deer Creek, any thing special to look for in that area?
There are a few areas I have hunted that produced. I have taken two bucks , several doe and a pig from Deer creek. What is the date you are hunting? When you get there for the orientation on the thursday before you go out and place a stand or blind you can ask one of white hats that run the hunts if any hunters have had luck in a certain place. The time you hunt will make a lot of difference.
If you have the map that you can print when you pay your hunt fee, look at the top of the map where it says Deer Creek. Just above where the word "DEER" is, there is a zig-zag road coming off of C-Tree road going west. That goes to the dam of a large lake. If you look on Google, there is a creek/drainage running north from the lake all the way to the North Boundry at Hwy 31. The last time I was in there the people that run the hunt had put some green fields in there almost to the north end of the property. You can park just in that area close the pond there along C-Tree road or along the bunkers just north of the drainage.
If you use Google Earth, just type in Haywood, OK, when you get there that is C-Tree road coming out of the Depot. Follow it south to Statton road. The pond and green patches are about 2 or 300 yds west of that location.
Let me know what date you have. Might be able to help more if you hunt after my group.

Mike

Roughrider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a few areas I have hunted that produced. I have taken two bucks , several doe and a pig from Deer creek. What is the date you are hunting? When you get there for the orientation on the thursday before you go out and place a stand or blind you can ask one of white hats that run the hunts if any hunters have had luck in a certain place. The time you hunt will make a lot of difference.
If you have the map that you can print when you pay your hunt fee, look at the top of the map where it says Deer Creek. Just above where the word "DEER" is, there is a zig-zag road coming off of C-Tree road going west. That goes to the dam of a large lake. If you look on Google, there is a creek/drainage running north from the lake all the way to the North Boundry at Hwy 31. The last time I was in there the people that run the hunt had put some green fields in there almost to the north end of the property. You can park just in that area close the pond there along C-Tree road or along the bunkers just north of the drainage.
If you use Google Earth, just type in Haywood, OK, when you get there that is C-Tree road coming out of the Depot. Follow it south to Statton road. The pond and green patches are about 2 or 300 yds west of that location.
Let me know what date you have. Might be able to help more if you hunt after my group.

Mike
Mike,
Thanks for the info, I will be there the 13-15th so it will be the first hunt after the disabled hunt. I will post what we see after we get back.

Duane.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did they ever do an either-sex elk hunt in the Wichita Mountains?
2009 for sure.
http://newsok.com/article/3427706

He was one of 10,500 hunters who were seeking an elk permit for the third scheduled hunt of six overall to be held in the Wichita Mountains this season. Only 22 permits were available for this hunt.

A longtime whitetail deer hunter, it was Ashcraft’s first elk hunt. Not only was Ashcraft lucky enough to get drawn for the elk hunt, he also got an either-sex tag, meaning he could hunt a bull or cow.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2009 for sure.
http://newsok.com/article/3427706

He was one of 10,500 hunters who were seeking an elk permit for the third scheduled hunt of six overall to be held in the Wichita Mountains this season. Only 22 permits were available for this hunt.

A longtime whitetail deer hunter, it was Ashcraft’s first elk hunt. Not only was Ashcraft lucky enough to get drawn for the elk hunt, he also got an either-sex tag, meaning he could hunt a bull or cow.

WOW! I do NOT remember that at all! Been putting in since it started, and don't recall that ever happening!

Latest posts

Top Bottom