2017-18 controlled hunts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpp7172

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drew a bow tag for salt plains any info would help . last yrs harvest was only 3 deer for 25 hunters not to excited about going yet can anyone give me some positive info.

jpp7172

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the application, the hunts are listed by date and the method of take for those dates. Just go down the list, hi-lite the ones marked archery, then go back and narrow the list down to locations and dates.
What info do you have on salt plains I drew a bow tag dec.4 thru 7 in management area is it even worth going with a bow?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What info do you have on salt plains I drew a bow tag dec.4 thru 7 in management area is it even worth going with a bow?

I'm not familiar with the management area. Typically after you send in your money, you will be assigned an area designated by a letter in the alphabet. Area A is the far northern hunt area and it's labeled like that with seceding letters all the way to the south.
If you have ever driven by the refuge, you will see all the signs on the fences. If you get out and look at the back side of those signs, there will be a letter designating that hunt zone.
That way if your assigned area H you will be able to stay in your area by looking at the signs.
As far as the low kill numbers last year, some hunters haven't pulled a bow in years, but put in for hunts. I'm betting most had shot opportunities.
Last MZ hunt I drew there had three other guys hunting the same area. They bought their guns the day before the hunt in a pawn shop and had never shot a MZ in their life. One didn't even have a ramrod with his rifle. I had to give a lesson before the hunt even started.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Management area can be north of highway 11 all the way south of headquarters down to the lake. Depends on the year and other factors as far as which of those areas they'll open up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom