2017-18 controlled hunts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If its worth applying for its worth going.

Exactly. Way too many hunts go unfilled. I know there are some legit reasons, but also know of some that just put in to see if they win something evidently because they just never go. Know 2 guys that turned down the elk hunts at the Wichita Mts that screwed two other people that would have probably gone. One said it was a good weekend to paint the house and the other felt a little ill with a cold or something.
Trust me, I would make that hunt on a stretcher of my death bed if somebody would carry me in.

jpp7172

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its worth applying for its worth going.
I thought I had applies for a muzzle loader hunt ! was surprised to see a bow tag but that's not bad either just wanting more info on the area as I live in North East ok. As to what the terrain is like I have one partner that has a bad knee , and looking at older posts one had said had to crawl on hands and knees to get to most of his hunt area and brush was so thick could only see the deer from knees down

jpp7172

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. Way too many hunts go unfilled. I know there are some legit reasons, but also know of some that just put in to see if they win something evidently because they just never go. Know 2 guys that turned down the elk hunts at the Wichita Mts that screwed two other people that would have probably gone. One said it was a good weekend to paint the house and the other felt a little ill with a cold or something.
Trust me, I would make that hunt on a stretcher of my death bed if somebody would carry me in.
I've been to witchata mrs. on a cow hunt and killed a cow have been 2 other times with friends on their elk hunts as well and packed out 5 elk on each trip for other hunters. so I do intend to go just wanting more info on the area as I saw older post about terrain being so thick could see 20 yards and could only see the deer from the knees down not great bow hunting conditions

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been to witchata mrs. on a cow hunt and killed a cow have been 2 other times with friends on their elk hunts as well and packed out 5 elk on each trip for other hunters. so I do intend to go just wanting more info on the area as I saw older post about terrain being so thick could see 20 yards and could only see the deer from the knees down not great bow hunting conditions
That was a post about the wilderness area. Although its tough, its not impossible to hunt with a bow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had applies for a muzzle loader hunt ! was surprised to see a bow tag but that's not bad either just wanting more info on the area as I live in North East ok. As to what the terrain is like I have one partner that has a bad knee , and looking at older posts one had said had to crawl on hands and knees to get to most of his hunt area and brush was so thick could only see the deer from knees down
Also a post about the Wilderness area. If you didn't draw that, those conditions are not applicable to the rest of the refuge.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wilderness area has the biggest bucks from what I've been told.... gotta work to get in there, it ain't easy, but nothing worth doing ever is.
Agree. It was the toughest Hunt I'd ever been on, and was told there was the possibility of a state record buck in the area by the Federal guys that are in the area every day.
My buddy and I cussed each other for signing up for it, yet at the end of the hunt with only one doe taken, knew it was a great hunt. You have to experience it one time. I still put in for it every year, but have never drawn it again. If I ever do, I have a plan.......

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I drew a bow tag for salt plains any info would help . last yrs harvest was only 3 deer for 25 hunters not to excited about going yet can anyone give me some positive info.
My cousin was one of the 3 that killed a deer at the Salt Plains hunt last year, the conditions on the archery hunt were less than ideal. PM me if you want some more info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom