2017-18 controlled hunts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh not sure if I mentioned this last year or not, but I hunted Tishomingo NWR last year. Just an FYI. It was obliterated by a flood a couple of years ago, so If you get drawn for the wrong zone you are pretty much staring at mud/dirt, hogs you can't shoot, and a bunch of dead or dying vegetation. LOL

Some guys had some luck, but those like me that got in a bad flooded area shoulda just packed up and left as soon as our number was drawn as the deer have not come back into those areas. That was obvious from the lack of tracks I saw. Something to think about if you are considering that hunt.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh not sure if I mentioned this last year or not, but I hunted Tishomingo NWR last year. Just an FYI. It was obliterated by a flood a couple of years ago, so If you get drawn for the wrong zone you are pretty much staring at mud/dirt, hogs you can't shoot, and a bunch of dead or dying vegetation. LOL

Some guys had some luck, but those like me that got in a bad flooded area shoulda just packed up and left as soon as our number was drawn as the deer have not come back into those areas. That was obvious from the lack of tracks I saw. Something to think about if you are considering that hunt.

Too bad those responsible for the hunt and organizing the areas, didn't change the zones up, to account for the wasteland area.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too bad those responsible for the hunt and organizing the areas, didn't change the zones up, to account for the wasteland area.

They tried the best they could, but their was just too many hunters. I'm guessing at least half the hunters got shafted. Really they need to reduce the number of hunters until the deer come back in those areas.

Allowing hog hunting would have at least been a consolation prize. I easily could have killed 2-3 nice hogs sitting there.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last 2 hunts I've been drawn for were disappointments.

First one was Sequoyah NWR. You can't go in the night before and set up stands or anything because they draw for hunt areas the morning of. The area I got drawn had a wheat field on it, surrounded by old growth woods. Problem was, the woods were literally covered with old growth honeysuckle. So much so that there wasn't really any young vegetation, it was all covered by a thick woven mat of honeysuckle. The hogs had made trails thru the mats, but you had to get down on hands and knees and crawl, there was no standing or walking. One step into the honeysuckle mat and everything within 1/4 mile knew you were there. Was totally pointless. Maybe if you had a 20ft. tripod that could get you up in the air for a look. Left after the first morning, won't put in for that one ever again.

Second one was the Golf course at Beaver's bend. That was natures fault, not the DOWC. The hunt was right after a flood and half the place was under water. The deer don't stay on the golf course, they wander in and feed at night from the surrounding property. The idea is to sneak in in the morning and shoot the deer that have accumulated overnight. However, the flood had SIGNIFICANTLY decreased the pathways onto the course for the deer to follow. 1 or 2 people had a chance to hunt those trails in, the rest of us were strewn about the golf course where nothing could get. I spent the time watching ducks and looking at quartz rocks, left that hunt after the first evening. Would have had more fun if I'd had a shotgun..

i.imgur.com_IklPKqD.jpg

i.imgur.com_Q1Ltx8J.jpg

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been after my buddy to get signed up every day for a week. Sent him a text today. Sign up by noon tomorrow or I'm signing up on my own, and I have the majority of preference points. That new girl friend of his keeps him busy.

That's the reason I stopped doing buddy apps in OK years ago. Constantly had to harass people to get them to get it done. Usually ended up taking their info and doing it myself. Finally said forget it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom