2017 elk hunting trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is incredible. Obviously way more work than my fat arse is willing to undertake! lol

Congrats on the successful hunt! Sounds like it was a blast (though exhausting!)!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way to go Dennis! I think I'm too fat and bad backed to do this, but I'd be looking hard at my Weatherby .270WSM and Nosler Partitions if I were to go. This spring I'm going to try and lose some weight then I'll see what my back lets me get away with. I want to get back to chasing some critters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way to go Dennis! I think I'm too fat and bad backed to do this, but I'd be looking hard at my Weatherby .270WSM and Nosler Partitions if I were to go. This spring I'm going to try and lose some weight then I'll see what my back lets me get away with. I want to get back to chasing some critters.
I had my Winchester Classic Pre-64 super grade .270 with me as a back up gun. Guns get beat up in the mountains. I would have hated to had to take it out with the beautiful walnut stock, but one has to do what one does.
I slipped down the slopes more than once sticking the muzzle in the dirt one time, requiring bolt removal and digging the dirt out of the muzzle. During the afternoons on the south slopes, the rocks that are normally frozen into the ground absorb the sunlight and get "unstuck". Put your foot on the wrong one, and down the slope you go.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my Winchester Classic Pre-64 super grade .270 with me as a back up gun. Guns get beat up in the mountains. I would have hated to had to take it out with the beautiful walnut stock, but one has to do what one does.
I slipped down the slopes more than once sticking the muzzle in the dirt one time, requiring bolt removal and digging the dirt out of the muzzle. During the afternoons on the south slopes, the rocks that are normally frozen into the ground absorb the sunlight and get "unstuck". Put your foot on the wrong one, and down the slope you go.

Wood stocked guns are great, but for hard use synthetic is the way to go. Usually lighter too. It was one of the reasons I bought my Weatherby Vanguard, I'd rather have had a short action but couldn't find one with a barrel long enough to make decent use of the cartridge's capabilities. Having a good long range cartridge in a 18" barrel doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd think a guy could find a fluted 22" barrel short action gun, but they were basically non existent at that time. May be different now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still using the 30-06 Browning synthetic stock. Its long action, but that round still works with the Barnes TTSX bullets. That gun has some ugly scars on it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy that owns the land on the corner of my place in SE OK used to go to CO every year elk hunting. He killed I don't even know how many big bulls with a .30-06. It's a fine elk round at sensible ranges. He went to .300 Weatherby when he only wounded one at 600 yards. He shot across a valley to the next mountain kinda like yours here. He brought that one home too, but it cost him a couple of toes to frostbite when he had to camp out overnight when he wasn't planning to. But he did catch up enough to put it down the next day. He had a horse but he had to take a long track around to find a place to cross. Yea he was kinda crazy back then...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were lucky that the valley between the mountains had a decent crossing in one spot. Either side of the crossing would have required climbing gear. I've been going there for 7 years now, so there are areas where we shoot across, and other areas where they get a pass as access is not an option. Seems they always want to stay in those areas. lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom