2017 Gun Legislation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 5 year max is why the 10 year handgun license would have to be eliminated in exchange for using the license to replace the NICS. OK2A has advocated bills in the past couple of years to do so along with lowering the cost of the license, but we would have to give up the 10 year license to comply with federal regulations.

Since it was that way when the SDA started back in the 90s, I suppose I could live with that. I sure do like the 10-year term, though. I'd think there would be some other way to satisfy the feds (there's an entirely separate argument since the feds are a creation of the states, not the other way around - tail wagging the dog, if you will) with some level of regular license surveillance.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since it was that way when the SDA started back in the 90s, I suppose I could live with that. I sure do like the 10-year term, though. I'd think there would be some other way to satisfy the feds (there's an entirely separate argument since the feds are a creation of the states, not the other way around - tail wagging the dog, if you will) with some level of regular license surveillance.
If it was a Federal requirement that all concealed carry permits could only last for five years (or any arbitrary length of time) then your "wag the dog" assertion would be valid; but as it is only necessary to qualify a CCW as a NICS substitute and the individual states can opt to follow it or not, then the requirement is not an onerous burden on the states.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

As long as a person's license is held in good standing, what difference does it make whether it is a 5 year, 10 year, or even perpetual license?

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom