2017 Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Already seen them for sale on craigslist..$45 a lb.. Never tasted one and at that price I never will unless I field hunt for them.. The old timer say when the redbuds bloom the morels are to follow..

Moonpie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are located on the TX/OK border (Oklahoma side WHEW!) They were slim pickin's last year! I found a whole 28! The year before 400 and some and I wasn't even trying, as we had so many dried from the year before. I did do a few walk abouts in a couple hot spots over the past couple weeks and found not a single shroom. I may take a quick walk through today if time allows. That four letter "W" word get's in the way!!

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My stepfather had his secret places he'd go in Osage County but I never went with him so I have no idea where they were. I sure enjoyed when he went out to get them and mom fried them up. I suppose I could probably find some in the creek bottom behind my house but that place is so overrun with poison ivy that I just avoid it.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Waiting till this "rain" before I go looking. Usually needs a couple of inches to get them to pop when the temps get right. Hopefully the next few days will do it..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone up in the North-Central area ends up with a surplus, I'd be willing to pay for some. Not $45/lb, no, but I would be fair about it. I'd love to try them fresh, I just don't think I have time this year to go hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rain and soil temp 2 inches deep has to reach 55degrees IIRC. Stick a meat thermometer in the dirt and you will know if its time.

Mesonet gives soil temps across the state and is updated daily.
Here are today's soil temps at 2".
81257c2028e090058750b91131f41357.jpg

Moonpie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Way to high! The soil temps ( for clarification!) I did go to several spots to look today and not a thing :( Except one little fungi I wouldn't eat but I said "Hi little guy" in passing, just to make myself feel better. I even went deeper in, where we find grey's browns and whites and not a thing, well spiders and spider webs, but ya can't eat those. So we wait......

Latest posts

Top Bottom