2017 Morels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When hunting the morels today after the rain. Hit 3 honey holes. Found morels at one of them. I found three, buddy found 5. We walked 1.7 miles.
Osage county.
21b8750fb64f74eb802f1c4ca6b41787.jpg

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When hunting the morels today after the rain. Hit 3 honey holes. Found morels at one of them. I found three, buddy found 5. We walked 1.7 miles.
Osage county.
The only spot I've got to hunt is in Logan county. It got around 2" of rain this last time, I'm going to give it 5-7 days after the rain and hit it. That usually gives just enough time to pop..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only spot I've got to hunt is in Logan county. It got around 2" of rain this last time, I'm going to give it 5-7 days after the rain and hit it. That usually gives just enough time to pop..
It looks like rain in the forecast Saturday and Sunday. Then in the 60's and low 70's afterward in my neck of the woods. I've never looked into how long it takes them to come up after an extended dry spell. 5-7 days? The place we found these doesn't get much sun and was near dead elm trees. Lots of leaf litter to hold the moisture, what little of it there has been?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never looked into how long it takes them to come up after an extended dry spell. 5-7 days?
I wish there was a definitive answer, 5-7 is what I shoot for after a good 2" or more rain.

Usually at a 5-7 day wait, there's some that have been up for a few days and are starting to get just a tad hard on the edges, still edible, along with some brand spankin new ones.

Would like to hear from others on the ideal wait time after a rain.??

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's been so long since I've found any worth bragging about, I can't even remember. Can only remember finding any before turkey season just a couple of times though around here. Most of the "honey holes" that I know of people having around here are near springs, so the rainfall isn't always needed to pick some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom