2017 Rut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed during yesterday evening's sit, how green everything is and how many leaves are still on the trees. The stand I was in was the same one I've killed a buck out of the last two ML seasons. There were no leaves covering both bucks approach the last two years. Anyone else greener and leaves on trees later than usual or just my area? I wouldn't have been able to see them coming last night until they were right on me because of the leaves still present.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed during yesterday evening's sit, how green everything is and how many leaves are still on the trees. The stand I was in was the same one I've killed a buck out of the last two ML seasons. There were no leaves covering both bucks approach the last two years. Anyone else greener and leaves on trees later than usual or just my area? I wouldn't have been able to see them coming last night until they were right on me because of the leaves still present.

Me, too.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The leaves have been falling rather quickly here since it froze on opening morning of MZ season.

Big bucks are still nocturnal for the most part, but the little bucks are cruising quite consistently. It wasn't this ol' gal's day to die and as soon as she walked off, the little guys came trailing. I had 4 little bucks cruise by on her trail within 15 mins of her passing by.

I have seen a 2 1/2 year old 8 pt chase by this stand once, then saw him chasing a doe down the farm road as I arrived just before 6:00am this morning. I drove behind them for 200-300 yards and he didn't care at all that I was behind him. He is the biggest I've seen actually chasing.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 269

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friday morning I sat until 11am and saw a 4 point about 930.

I took my daughter for her first deer hunt on Sunday night. Sat over a feeder that finally started drawing deer in, but we didn't see anything. Still enjoyed ourselves.

2a1d5a0ad405a77c8c1d17fde11fa6d7.jpg

Monday I hunted all day. Saw a hog at 845 and sat until 1130. Moved a ladder stand to a new area that I haven't hunted our had a camera at, but it has a small pond which is the only water in 1/3 mile, and sat in it for the afternoon. Still saw nothing.

c58a455d7ae794cf8819e6fb0898f48d.jpg

Tuesday morning I sat in the ladder again and had 3 doe visit the pond at 845. They were on the opposite side of the pond, putting them at 70 yards. 2 left quickly, so I got down and stalked to 20 yards on the last one. Just as I had almost cleared the reeds for a shot, one of the other does popped out and busted me, ruining the opportunity, but it sure was fun. I got back in stand and a small 6 point appeared at 930, taking a drink then following the trail the does took at a slow pace. I sat until 1130 then moved a stand into the woods on the trail the does came to the pond on. I sat by my feeder last night with no luck.

This morning I sat until 11 in the stand I hung yesterday, seeing nothing.

f7696dd50097f8377394298b92fd24cf.jpg

I think it's safe to say there's no rut activity going on yet in my neck of the woods/fields. Taking a break until Friday or Saturday.

Last edited:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think???

I had a doe come in at daylight this morning. She hung out for a solid 30-40 mins. I am sitting over a scrape and there is no feeder nearby, so she wasn't there for food. Im thinking she is about to get hot and was looking for a boyfriend. In my experience, the groupies and badge bunnies put themselves in places where they know they will find what they are looking for, so thinking this doe is doing the same thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom