2017 Rut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'd say its on here in central Oklahoma. seeing mature bucks in the wide open pastures, getting daylight pictures of good bucks. was late getting to my stand yesterday and ran a buck out of the pasture pulling in that was with a doe and he was mature. Also noticed an uptick in road kill. Get out and kill this weekend before the orange army shows up next week!
All i saw yesterday while in stand was small bucks and doe. but the small bucks were pestering the does as well.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'd say its on here in central Oklahoma. seeing mature bucks in the wide open pastures, getting daylight pictures of good bucks. was late getting to my stand yesterday and ran a buck out of the pasture pulling in that was with a doe and he was mature. Also noticed an uptick in road kill. Get out and kill this weekend before the orange army shows up next week!
All i saw yesterday while in stand was small bucks and doe. but the small bucks were pestering the does as well.

Motivated me. I was going out anyway, but I hope I see some action... FINALLY.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of chasing and deer movement. Seen a buck and a doe bedded in a wheat field together, worn out. Coons and a cat also this morning.
20171110_083248.jpg

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted all day yesterday, sitting over a feeder in the morning with no deer showing. I did some scouting afterward and think my feeder needs to move about 200 yards to be on a major thoroughfare. Will try to do that Sunday.

In my scouting, I found a buck swung by a set I was going in to pull because I hadn't seen anything in 7 hunts. Even if I was in it, I wouldn't have seen him. I repositioned the camera to confirm the trail he's using since there's 3 and it's thick!

I saw a doe in a field at 130, heading to my stand and bumped one bedded 40 yards from my stand. Didn't see any deer last night from the stand. Might've heard chasing once. Had turkeys come in to 20 yards and hogs start to move in at dark, but never committed. I exited with no light on until I was close to my truck and saw a large shadow. Popped on my light and scared a cow senseless. Then the pigs exploded 50 yards away hauling butt away from me, thankfully, as there was about 30 and I don't carry that much ammo for my conceal carry.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you hunting near thunderbird lake still? im hearing stories about how bad they are getting on the lake. i live 1/2 mile from the water and dont get any pigs on camera on my property. I have once in 15 years.
I have heard reports about very large ones off peebly on east side of the lake.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you hunting near thunderbird lake still? im hearing stories about how bad they are getting on the lake. i live 1/2 mile from the water and dont get any pigs on camera on my property. I have once in 15 years.
I have heard reports about very large ones off peebly on east side of the lake.
I have a lease now, but still hunt thunderbird occasionally. There's a ton of pigs on both sides. 3 years ago, you would see some sign. 2 years ago rooting all over the place. Last year I saw up to 12 at once. You can't bait and you can only hunt then with a bow during deer season only. Given that, it's infested this year. You have zero options to control the heard since you can't trap and it's bow only. The deer hunting has already declined in the areas I hunt due to it. I know it's not hunting pressure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom