2017 Rut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Getting back from a week away, I checked three different trail cams, and found the major activity for daytime activity was Nov 6-7 with a 3/4 moon.
Since then, 90% of the activity has been night time. Very few venturing out in the daylight.
I got in the stand at around 3pm today, and didn't see a single deer all evening.
I did see a couple of bucks I'm interested in.

7ef075f034c133045550d87bb542cf65.jpg

673cf05982e5678eb9ff9e966ca1d6b4.jpg

566ec0713dfee29e85897cf61d6254a1.jpg

41c10603963841d47588caf331ffe372.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that first buck could walk for 3 days and still be in sight.
He's a good one on a new spot I set up this year.
Nothing but a hay meadow with a waterway in the middle. You can see 1/2 mile of round bales on the horizon.
The quarter section next to it is really thick in portions, with nobody hunting it. 1/2 mile south of that quarter is a creek line with a ton of hunters. My suspicion was that area was going to be a sanctuary for some bucks getting ran out of the area south.
It appears my assumption might work out. :hey3:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's a good one on a new spot I set up this year.
Nothing but a hay meadow with a waterway in the middle. You can see 1/2 mile of round bales on the horizon.
The quarter section next to it is really thick in portions, with nobody hunting it. 1/2 mile south of that quarter is a creek line with a ton of hunters. My suspicion was that area was going to be a sanctuary for some bucks getting ran out of the area south.
It appears my assumption might work out. :hey3:
That first pic buck has some good mass for sure!!!! Good Luck

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out last night for the 1st time this year with a friend. Went to Western Noble County (County seat = Perry); nice temps of @ 54° and very light NNE wind. We hunted the edge of a lush wheat field about 250 yards apart from each other. We saw 4 bucks and 1 doe or possibly the "doe" was an antlerless buck. The action started at 4:30 and was over at dark.

A 3.5 year old 8 ptr wanted nothing to do w/ Ms. November decoy that was positioned 15 yds in front of me. The buck blew (@ 60 yds away), went back into the woods and blew more :( My grunts had no convincing effect ffor the buck to come check out the situation. Too bad, because the buck probably would have walked the tree line right by me. Probably too small to kill this year ... we'll see next weekend.

My friend had a 3 ptr @ 20yds, but let it go -> grow and another 6 or 7 ptr @ 60 yds.

Gonna give it some more tries this weekend with the Browning BAR .270.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out last night for the 1st time this year with a friend. Went to Western Noble County (County seat = Perry); nice temps of @ 54° and very light NNE wind. We hunted the edge of a lush wheat field about 250 yards apart from each other. We saw 4 bucks and 1 doe or possibly the "doe" was an antlerless buck. The action started at 4:30 and was over at dark.

A 3.5 year old 8 ptr wanted nothing to do w/ Ms. November decoy that was positioned 15 yds in front of me. The buck blew (@ 60 yds away), went back into the woods and blew more :( My grunts had no convincing effect ffor the buck to come check out the situation. Too bad, because the buck probably would have walked the tree line right by me. Probably too small to kill this year ... we'll see next weekend.

My friend had a 3 ptr @ 20yds, but let it go -> grow and another 6 or 7 ptr @ 60 yds.

Gonna give it some more tries this weekend with the Browning BAR .270.
Good luck Tim!

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the switch was flipped on my place today. I’ve seen lots of activity among the little bucks for the past 2-3 weeks, but no real chasing going on. Today, when I went out to top feeders off and check cameras, I drove up on one of the big bucks on my hit list, chasing a doe all over a wheat field. Then saw a mature 8 pt chasing a doe around another field of mine 1/2 mile to the north. All of this happening between 3:30-4:00pm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom