2017 VW Golf R or GTI Autobahn?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the gearheads of the forum, I'm looking for feedback from VW Golf owners about their likes and dislikes of the cars. I will be purchasing a fun/daily driver the middle of next week. I drive 30 miles each way with 29 miles of it highway and the last mile sitting in line waiting to get on base. Give me your thoughts!

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I own and operate a 2007 GTI which I've had since day one. It's been drop dead reliable other than the extended warranty coverage that VW provided on certain parts.
Since it's turbocharged and direct injection I would advise immediately installing a catch-can in the PCV circuit. This is a problem with all turbo / DI engines, gasoline and diesel, and not unique to VW.
I could not justify the huge adder for the R model due to increased weight and complexity.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have nothing against the VW but, are you set on a VW ? I have a Fiat 500 Sport that is highly modified and love it. No problems with all the mods on it for 30,000 miles. We have been looking at buying an Abarth for even more fun. Many on Fiattech have sold bigger more powerful cars and gone to the Abarth for the fun factor alone. An EC tune and a CAI kicks the hp up to around 200 ponies. In a 2300 lb car, the fun factor sky rockets. If money isn't a concern, I'd look at the Focus RS. It's very bad with 350 hp stock and AWD.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have nothing against the VW but, are you set on a VW ? I have a Fiat 500 Sport that is highly modified and love it. No problems with all the mods on it for 30,000 miles. We have been looking at buying an Abarth for even more fun. Many on Fiattech have sold bigger more powerful cars and gone to the Abarth for the fun factor alone. An EC tune and a CAI kicks the hp up to around 200 ponies. In a 2300 lb car, the fun factor sky rockets. If money isn't a concern, I'd look at the Focus RS. It's very bad with 350 hp stock and AWD.
I'm pretty much set on the GTI or R. I wanted either a stupid fun and fast car (always dreamed of a 5.0 mustang) or a lux/sport/somewhat economical car (ala the Golf GTI or R). Ford pissed me off with my focus so I'm giving up on them for a while. Besides, the ST and RS or too "ricer"ish for me. I love the subtlety of the R, quite and unassuming until it blows past you getting 30 mpg. My wife doesn't like the Fiats and I'm still looking at the Alfa Romeo Guilia's too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom