2018 Controlled Hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was from last week, 11/10, at Ft. Reno for my son's controlled hunt. The doe dropped in her tracks at about 125 yards with his .243. With another antlerless tag burning a hole in his pocket, he pulled the trigger on the yearling just 10 minutes later when the little buck refused to leave the area.
]

Congrats Meat Grinder! Plenty of good sausage and steaks laying there. Pass on congrats please!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for politely calling me uneducated.
Sir, I apologize for looking like I was calling you uneducated. If you notice I edited my post shortly after making it. (Apparently the same time you were posting) What I was meaning is biologists spend all year observing/studying wildlife and they also share experiences with other biologists. They have years of research from harvest data to gleam information from as well. They know a LOT about the deer population and with management plans and game laws have taken Oklahoma population to near record levels from the point of it being news worthy to see a deer 50-60 years ago. If harvest goals need to be changed on controlled hunts, they will make changes for next year. I am not familiar with all of the WMA in Oklahoma, but I know many have special regulations and limits due to hunting pressure, deer population and a management plan.

Once again please take notice of my apology. I didn't mean that as you are uneducated, just saying that some biologists have deeper access to data that most don't have.

corbinlee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a supper successful youth draw hunt at the Arbuckle Springs WMA south of Ada. It is a new WMA and hasn't been improved much since they acquired the land last summer, but it is a great area.

It was a 2 deer draw (1st antlerless, 2nd either). I was told that it really was a set up as a doe hunt and they were rewarding us with an opportunity for a buck with a doe kill. The WMA manager said that typically during the year very few hunters will be killing does so they need help with that population.

My 9 yr old and I loved the area. Lots of open areas to see a long ways but plenty of deer sign and places to set up for close enough shots for youth.

He shot a big boar hog first thing Saturday morning, he was really excited about that. Made a great shot on it and dropped him where he stood.
Saturday evening he was fortunate enough to make a good shot on a doe at 135yrds. She didn't go far and crashed.
We were worn out after getting her out so we slept in a little on Sunday. We didn't get set up until just before sunrise.

About 7:30 a nice 10 pt walked out of a draw we were watching and he made another great shot on him and he didn't make it another step. I was worried because he was standing in a low spot and we could only see his head and top of his back over the taller weeds, so I told him to just move his cross-hairs down a little from his back/neck and take the shot, and he did. He just disappeared after the shot, fell straight down. He was right at 100 yard away.

My little 9yr old was pumped, he was supper excited and had a wonderful time.
IMG_2310.jpg
IMG_2313.jpg
IMG_2315.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2322.jpg
IMG_2326.jpg
IMG_2328.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom