2018 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before we moved, we had two raised beds that were a remarkable improvement over the traditional garden we had. Worked the soil well, compost, etc. In the Fall,I put in about three inches of leaves as I raked, and then after planting, covered everything with straw. We had great success with tomatoes and peppers, and NO weeds. Three years of happiness!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before we moved, we had two raised beds that were a remarkable improvement over the traditional garden we had. Worked the soil well, compost, etc. In the Fall,I put in about three inches of leaves as I raked, and then after planting, covered everything with straw. We had great success with tomatoes and peppers, and NO weeds. Three years of happiness!
We use wheat straw to insulate our dog houses during the winter. 11 bales. Those bales go into the garden and get tilled in before planting annually. I can't tell you how many 7 cubic ft bales of peat moss has been tilled in, but like Magna19 said, you have to get a soil sample. Typically mine needs nitrogen as the straw robs the nitrogen in its process of turning back into soil. Be cautious of putting fireplace ashes in the garden unless your soil sample says it needs it.
At one time when first starting to adjust the PH of my soil that had turned Acidic, the application of powdered lime took a couple of years to finally correct the PH issues. My harvest improved at the same time the PH changed.
The addition of lime takes a long time to do its thing, and it can be overdone easily by over application. Most garden plants like a little bit of acidity.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the early seeds planted today. Tomato’s, and peppers. I’ll start the cucumbers and squash in a couple of weeks. They grow so fast that they will take over the little greenhouse if started now.
1900dd773c1d53ba29a8cce1917fb4c8.jpg

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
fear i've lost all my asparagus beds, they appear to be trying so i'm drowning them right now. these were old beds too, if they put up anything at all this season i'm not going to harvest

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy had 3 pop out of second year bed. My 3rd year bed still watching
I had a heavy layer of leaves on top which probably helped warm the soil and get them started. Ran the mower over the patch today to expose the soil, so depending on the weather, they might stop if it gets colder.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a heavy layer of leaves on top which probably helped warm the soil and get them started. Ran the mower over the patch today to expose the soil, so depending on the weather, they might stop if it gets colder.
Mine went to bed last winter with 2"-3" compost on top. Ive been harvesting for couple weeks now. The lettuce, carrots, beets, cauliflower. cabbage, radishes, are doing great. Tomatoes and few different peppers starting off good too.
20180502_115106.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom