2018 Great Crappie Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I typically catch most of my crappie in January and February.
Unfortunately, we have wife's FIL in memory care, and we spend most weekends and some days during the week traveling back and forth. Its cut into my fishing time tremendously.
In the colder months, the crappie congregate in deep water up to 30' deep around structure and submerged trees.
Right now with the water warming and the spawn approaching, they have left the structure and are in open water, not always at the same place day to day. From now to spawn, it's the toughest time of the year to find them. Quality electronics certainly make the difference locating them.
Good news is that the sand bass and hybrids are making their spawning runs. The hybrids can't reproduce, but they have a false run along with the sandbass. Time to fill the freezer.
You folks on the eastern part of the state with all the high water have my sympathies.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We hit the ponds at the lease yesterday. We landed enough for a fish fry. About half of them had eggs but looked premature. I'd give it a couple weeks for the ponds crappie and they should be hitting hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom