2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Deer were everywhere last night in the last few minutes of shooting time. I saw a couple new bucks as well as a funky deer that just showed up the last couple of days. He can up out of the creek almost straight at me so I never had a shot. When he got broadside directly to my right, he spooked and trotted about 40 yards n/nw. I was so far twisted around that it hurt. When I pulled the trigger I think my body unwound and shot over him. He was slightly uphill and that didn’t help. I looked for blood last night but I’m not even 100% sure where he was standing. I’m going back up to look again at 10 this morning. The only pic I have is off my crappy card reader.
2E3FB520-3110-47B2-B2C9-4B6C4EE92680.png

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all came together last night. I got in stand at 245 and waited. Activity during the day has picked up and a lot of young bucks are coming through. My primary target deer has come through minutes before / after shooting light.

At 6:15, I hear something walking 80 yards south and saw a rack. I glassed him and recognized him immediately. He was walking straight toward me, not trying to be sneaky at all. At 50 yards he stopped, staring straight at me while facing me. He came in a bit more and turned broadside at 40. He was angling to circle me so i stopped him and flipped off the safety. Clink. Metal on metal and no pop, no ignition. I tried top remove the 209 primer but as i was doing so he bounded 70 yards into the brush. I grunted a few times. Nothing. I rattled. Nothing but heart break and an upset stomach.

a3af3c46b4bf41f9e8592f78956231a2.jpg

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all came together last night. I got in stand at 245 and waited. Activity during the day has picked up and a lot of young bucks are coming through. My primary target deer has come through minutes before / after shooting light.

At 6:15, I hear something walking 80 yards south and saw a rack. I glassed him and recognized him immediately. He was walking straight toward me, not trying to be sneaky at all. At 50 yards he stopped, staring straight at me while facing me. He came in a bit more and turned broadside at 40. He was angling to circle me so i stopped him and flipped off the safety. Clink. Metal on metal and no pop, no ignition. I tried top remove the 209 primer but as i was doing so he bounded 70 yards into the brush. I grunted a few times. Nothing. I rattled. Nothing but heart break and an upset stomach.

a3af3c46b4bf41f9e8592f78956231a2.jpg

Noooooooooooo . . .

That's a gut punch. I hate it for you.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang that sucks. Have you tried to fire it since? That was common back in the percussion cap days and I don't miss it a bit. Never had my flintlocks or smokeless do it fortunately though.
I'm going to pull the breach and pop a cap shortly to make sure it was just a bad primer. Didn't have an issue before last night. Stuff happens though...

Latest posts

Top Bottom