2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Deer were everywhere last night in the last few minutes of shooting time. I saw a couple new bucks as well as a funky deer that just showed up the last couple of days. He can up out of the creek almost straight at me so I never had a shot. When he got broadside directly to my right, he spooked and trotted about 40 yards n/nw. I was so far twisted around that it hurt. When I pulled the trigger I think my body unwound and shot over him. He was slightly uphill and that didn’t help. I looked for blood last night but I’m not even 100% sure where he was standing. I’m going back up to look again at 10 this morning. The only pic I have is off my crappy card reader.
View attachment 145865
One of the other guys got him on cam at 5:40 yesterday evening. After looking at the daytime pic again, I’m glad I got a clean miss.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new of course but I’m going to jump right in and ask have y’all seen rut activity? I kid you not last night I seen a 2 year old buck running a doe like crazy. He was even marking up the place.
Welcome SL. I saw lots of deer last night. No serious rut activity but the bucks definitely wanted to be where the does were. It’s going to change soon though. I’ll be in the bow stand next week as much as I can.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D

Do you feel we will have an early rut this year?
‘Maybe’ I’m beginning to think it might be extended. My place is usually fast and furious. I’ll see some activity for a few days and it seems to be over. Looks like the bucks want to make their presence known but no real chasing yet.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got this guy at 7:55am this morning. Just getting around to posting because I had to get him tended to quickly in order to get my daughter to her softball tournament.

It was so still and quiet this morning that I decided to get in my stand almost an hour before shooting light. I watched doe in the dark and sat like a statue. A fawn saw me in the stand and literally walked up to my ladder and looked up at me for 5 mins, then decided I wasn’t a threat and went back to eating.

I had a fork come in to eat with the doe, then about 20 mins later, they all looked up and turned to look at a main trail. Less than 5 mins later, this guy comes walking by. Not in to the feeders, but passing by. I had a hole a little bigger than a basketball to shoot through so when he hit that spot, I dropped the hammer. The T/C Omega loaded with 120 gr of 777 Magnum and Hornady SST sabots at 50 yds punched right through him. Double lung and no shoulder meat touched. He ran maybe 60 yds. I was just glad he had enough life to get up and out of the creek he ran through after I shot him. I heard him crash, but any rookie could have followed the blood trail he left.

Field dressed just under 200 lbs at 188. Biggest bodied deer I have ever taken.
6D966889-FC9E-431B-8C0D-2A82D66FB62D.jpeg
3193317C-74D5-435F-8E7A-E91490CA66C9.jpeg
12C298A3-EF5C-4441-A22F-56FECDEBD8F9.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom